Toggle mobile menu visibility

Domestic alterations

We can give advice on lots of domestic building work. This includes loft conversions, electrical safety, replacement windows and doors and exempt buildings.

It is important that you keep to the building regulations. If you fail to tell the council of work being carried out, you may be committing a criminal offence. Evidence of building regulations approval may also be needed if you wish to sell or remortgage your house in the future.

Even if your building is classed as exempt, you may need to meet Part P of the building regulations, which covers electrical safety. 

Competent persons

A competent persons scheme covers some areas of building work. If you use a self-certified contractor, you must make sure they are registered for the work being done. You can find out more and check whether your contractor is registered on the Competent Person Register (opens new window) website. When the work is finished, they must give you a certificate to confirm that the work meets the building regulations.


If you need any further information on any area of our service, please contact us on 01792 635636 or email

Buildings exempt from building regulations

There are certain buildings that may be exempt from building regulations. These can include conservatories, porches, domestic garages, small detached buildings or replacement windows.

Garage conversions

You will need to apply for building regulations approval if you plan to convert a garage.

Loft conversions

You will need to apply for building regulations approval if you are going to carry out a loft conversion.

Party Wall etc. Act 1996

The Party Wall Act gives guidance on preventing and resolving disputes about party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.

Re roofing and thermal upgrading of walls and floors

If you are replacing a flat or pitch roof, then you are required to apply for Building Regulations Approval before any work is carried out on the roof, even if a like for like replacement is being undertaken.

Replacement windows and doors

All replacement glazing comes under the building regulations. This means that anyone installing replacement windows or doors has to meet strict thermal performance standards.

Electrical works

If you own your home then it is your responsibility to make sure that any electrical works are safe under Part P of the building regulations.

Automatic fire suppression (sprinklers)

Building regulations in Wales call for an automatic fire suppression system (commonly known as a fire sprinkler system) to be installed in new and converted homes.

Retaining walls

If you are building a wall which is retaining land over 1.5m in height you will need to submit an application. This applies to new retaining walls or extending an existing one.
Close Choose Language