Toggle mobile menu visibility

Bank holiday information - May

Bank holiday information for our services, including opening times and emergency contacts. All recycling collections will take place on the usual days.

Garages and driveways for council tenants

Information on building a driveway and renting a garage.


There are a very limited number of garages and garages bases (onto which you can erect your own garage) available to rent.

You do not have to be a tenant to rent one, but our tenants do have priority. Areas often have waiting lists and allocations are made in date order of request. Garages are solely for the parking of a car and there are some conditions attached to the rental agreement. Rent is charged weekly and can be paid at any local area housing office or the Civic Centre.

We will repair any lock-up garages, but garages erected onto garage bases are the responsibility of the person renting the garage base.

For more details on renting a garage, please contact the relevant area housing office.

Please note - there are no council owned garages in the Gorseinon area.



Many properties within Swansea were built at a time when only a small proportion of households owned a car; therefore very few homes were built with driveways or car parking provision.

If you are thinking of building a driveway or hard standing area on your property:

  1. You need to ask permission from your area housing office before a hard standing can be built, and this must be constructed to certain specifications. You can employ your own builder to carry out this work.
  2. If permission is granted you would then need to apply for a dropped kerb or crossover to be constructed, which will allow your car to cross the pavement to the driveway.

By law (The Highways Act 1980), you need to apply for a crossover. It is illegal to tamper with, alter, or damage the pavements and kerbstones outside your property - ONLY the highways authority can install a crossover.

Close Choose Language