Toggle mobile menu visibility

Apply to close a road for an event

Before applying to close a road you should email to discuss your plans. Closing a road can be a long process so we want to make it as easy as possible for you to do so. We will also need to make sure that all of the safety aspects of closing a road are followed. 

How to apply

  • Contact the Streetworks section to discuss your needs, a joint meeting with all interested parties present is normally arranged at this stage. If a closure is agreed information signs must be placed on site 7 days prior to the closure taking place informing the public of the closure date, encompassing the reason for the closure and 24 hour contact details of the applicant. Letter drops must take place informing residents and stakeholders of the dates and details of the closure. 
  • Applicants are responsible for erection and maintenance of their own signing and guarding which must be agreed with Swansea Council prior to commencing works on site. Please note signs and barriers are not available from the Police or Swansea Council.  You can hire them at your own expense or you can make your own. The Street Party (opens new window) website has information on hiring signs and templates if you'd prefer to print your own.
  • Alternative routes/ diversions must be agreed with the Swansea Council prior to the event taking place. 
  • Notices for all events are charged at a cost of £290. All applicable fees will be invoiced "post" closure. If you are holding a traditional street party no fee will be chargeable if all details of the closure has been agreed with Swansea Council.
  • For larger events all costs for the rerouting of a bus service, providing additional buses or for providing temporary bus stops, etc. will be borne by the applicant. For street parties permission is unlikely to be given if the proposed road closure will affect bus routes.
  • For larger events the organising company/ committee shall indemnify the council against all actions, proceedings, claims and liability howsoever arising and will require public liability insurance of at least £5 million. A copy of the current certificate must be submitted with the application. The application will not be processed without proof of insurance. If you are holding a traditional street party you should discuss the need for insurance with the Streetworks section.


Close Choose Language