Toggle mobile menu visibility

Closing a road for an event

If you are planning to hold a street party or other similar event you may decide to close the road for safety reasons.

Before applying to close a road you should email to discuss your plans. Closing a road can be a long process so we want to make it as easy as possible for you to do so. We will also need to make sure that all of the safety aspects of closing a road are followed. 

Closing the road for a street party

A traditional street party will involve having simple tables and chairs on one road, will have less than 500 people attending and no alcohol for sale and no entertainment such as live music or performances. These should normally take place on a small local street, ideally a cul-de-sac, where a road closure will not disrupt the flow of traffic in the area. Before applying for a road closure for a street party you should contact the Streetworks Section on 01792 843330 to discuss or alternatively email Your application should be made at least 6 weeks before your planned event so make sure you contact us well before this time.

If you would like to be able to sell alcohol or provide live music or performances then you will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice. You should apply for the temporary event notice at least 10 days before the event. There is a fee of £21.00 which must be paid.

You can find out more information on closing a road for a street party on the Street Party (opens new window) website.

Closing the road for a larger event

A larger event would include closing more than one road, more than 500 people attending, include the sale of alcohol or live music and performance and items like portable toilets, lighting, trade stands, caterers or funfair rides. These type of events take a lot more planning so we would like you to contact us at least 12 weeks in advance to discuss your needs.

For permission for larger events you will also need to complete one of the forms available on our Organising an event in Swansea page depending on whether your event is taking place on council land or private land.

Remember that access to emergency vehicles will require access/egress at all times even if the road has been closed. 

Close Choose Language