Toggle mobile menu visibility

Temporary event notices

A temporary event notice (TEN) can be used to allow a licensable activity at a small scale one off event.

The Alcohol Licensing (Coronavirus) (Regulatory Easements) (Amendment) Regulations 2021 amend the TENs limits temporarily to increase the allowance for TENs from 15 to 20, and increase the maximum number of days on which TENs may be held from 21 to 26, in the calendar years 2022 and 2023.

Licensing over Halloween, Beaujolais, Christmas and New Year 2022-2023

If you are planning an event for Halloween, Guy Fawkes, Beaujolais day or over the Christmas and New Year period in your premise you may need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). 

A TEN can be used to allow an event outside of the terms of an existing premises licence, or to allow for an event where there is no existing premises licence. To be able to get a TEN there should be no more than 499 people involved at any one time. It should also meet the four licensing objectives. The police and environmental health officers at the council may prevent the event taking place or modify it in order to meet these objectives.

You should apply for a TEN at least 10 working days before the start of the event. If you apply between 9 and 5 working days before the event this will be classed as a Late TEN.  If we receive your application less than 5 working days before the event then your application will not be valid and you will not be allowed to carry out the event.

A Temporary Event Notice does not remove the premises user from any requirements under planning law for appropriate planning permission where it is needed.

In partnership with EUGO logo
How to apply

Apply for a temporary event notice Apply for a temporary event notice

You must fill in the application form in full.  You will need to pay the application fee when you submit your form.  

A complete copy of the application will also be sent to the Chief Officer of Police and to the Housing and Public Protection Service at the council.


Licensing Act 2003 Fees and Charges Licensing Act 2003 Fees and Charges

You must pay your fee with the application.

If you apply by post you should make cheques payable to 'City and County of Swansea' and send it with your completed form.


Tacit consent

We have a target period of 7 days for this notice. We aim to acknowledge your application and to begin processing it within this period. If you have not heard from us by the end of this period you will be able to act as though your application is granted.

Please note that this target period only begins when we receive a complete application including any supporting documents and payments.


If you have any problems with your application or would like more information then please contact us on 01792 635600 or email Any applicant who is refused a certificate or who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their certificate can appeal to their local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed but no later than 5 working days before the planned event.

We hold a public register of all premises licensed by us under the Licensing Act 2003. To view the register please Contact Licensing to arrange a time. The register is only available to view during office hours.

Apply for a temporary event notice

Use this form to apply for a temporary event notice when you are planning an event for less than 500 people.

Guidance notes for submitting a temporary event notice

In these notes, a person who gives a temporary event notice is called a "premises user".
Close Choose Language