Learning at Oystermouth Castle
School and group visit information
- Fairytales, dragons and storytelling, taught using play and creative movement - ideal for key stage 1 and 2.
- Norman Castles: form and function, siege and defence.
- Life in Medieval Wales.
- The Lords of Gower and the Welsh Princes.
- The Natural Environment - using the parkland and surrounding woodlands for orienteering sessions, investigation and enquiry.
A visit to Oystermouth castle will include:
- A free pre-visit on request for Teachers to view the facilities, discuss and plan your visit that will be tailored to your requirements.
- A personalised guided tour (45mins).
School trips to the Castle currently consist of a half day session (up to 2 hours 10am-12pm and 12.30-2.30pm) depending on your needs. Bookings are welcome during term times on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. We can currently accommodate up to a maximum of 35 pupils per session plus Teachers and parent helpers.
Reservations should be made at least 10 working days prior to your visit. There are also opportunities to make this a full day experience by combining the visit with a trip to Swansea Museum in the morning followed by an afternoon at the Castle. There are many photographs, objects and artefacts to familiarise yourselves with in the exhibitions and stores at the Museum before putting these in context at your afternoon at the Castle.
We currently make a charge of £4 per pupil.
For further details and to make a reservation for your school please contact the Castle Development Co-ordinator
We also accept group bookings and coach parties by the following arrangements:
- Groups unannounced (up to 15 people) - charged individually at normal entry prices (£6). Tours are offered for an extra charge at Friends discretion (£7.50 with a tour)
- Groups (over 15 people) - please contact the Oystermouth Castle Development Co-ordinator on 07557 481467 to book separately in advance (£4 per head without tour or £5.50 with a tour)