Toggle mobile menu visibility

Council owned commercial and industrial units

We have a number of commercial and industrial units available to rent. There are 6 workshop sites with about 75 units at Swansea Enterprise Park and other locations.

Units range in size from 46 sq metres (495sqft) to 232 sq metres (2,497sqft) which cater for light manufacturing. Under planning regulations no retail use is allowed.

Who can apply?

The industrial units are to assist businesses and therefore the local economy in their areas. Applications will not be considered from individuals wishing to use them for their own private use, for example storage of household items, private garaging etc.

We recommend that you first view the exterior of the property to make sure that the location would be suitable for your business. Before an appointment can be made for an internal viewing of a property, new businesses need to give a business plan of their intended venture. Businesses already trading need to give a letter outlining as much information as possible about their business, for example how many jobs currently exist or will be created, what experience you have, how long you have been in business etc.

If you are interested in viewing a property or to find out more information please contact Josh Winder on 07773 580510 or email or Simon Aspland on 07866 896840 or email

It will help us if you include in your email your contact number and your full postal address. If your enquiry is about a specific property please include the postal address or describe it in relation to the property next door to it.

For applications to rent property you will need to give a bank reference and two trade or character references. We will send you an application and reference forms to complete and return. We will also carry out a credit check with a credit agency for which you will need to pay a non-returnable fee of £40 to cover our costs.


You will be responsible for paying the rent for the premises you are occupying. All payments are due as stated in your lease or tenancy agreement and are normally payable monthly in advance. Payment is by direct debit.

We will also charge a 3 month rent deposit. This will be held and returned upon completion of the tenancy provided that the unit is returned in a satisfactory condition and the rent account is clear

Your lease will say if and when the rent will be reviewed. This usually means that the rent will increase to reflect any increases in market rents for similar properties. The rent payable under a tenancy will normally be reviewed by written notice or a notice to end the tenancy with the offer of a new tenancy, at a new rent. The length of notice which must be given will be said in your tenancy agreement.

We expect our tenants to pay rent and other charges on time. If an account falls into arrears, we will charge interest in line with the terms of the lease. Legal proceedings may be started and bailiffs instructed to collect the amount owed and payment of their costs. If you are having problems paying on time, it is important that you tell us of the reasons as soon as possible.

Once the tenancy agreement has been signed you are legally bound by your specific agreement. If you wish to end your agreement, this document will say the required notice period.

The minimum rental period is one month. After this, one month's written notice is needed from either side to end the tenancy.

Other fees and charges

As a commercial tenant, you will be liable for a number of accommodation related costs which are above the normal day to day running expenses.

Typically the following costs will usually apply:

  • Electricity costs recharge (applies to Capel Road workshops in Clydach, Cwmbwrla workshops, Garngoch workshops and Gorseinon Business Park)
  • Insurance - We insure the premises, and recharge the premium to the tenant. However, it is your responsibility to satisfy yourself as to the extent of cover, to get additional cover if needed and to get contents insurance.
  • Legal and surveyors fees - You will need to meet the council's costs for preparing your lease and any consents or licences that may be needed during the time of your tenancy. These are one off costs and are chargeable on an as and when needed basis. You may also be responsible for paying the council's legal fees should you break the terms and conditions of your tenancy resulting in action to be taken by the council. These fees will be itemised on the statement of account which you will receive when you sign your lease.

Changing the use of the property

If you are already a tenant you must apply for written consent from the council as landlord and owner to the proposed change of use given in your lease or tenancy agreement. You will have to pay the costs of this and must make an application by email or letter to the Strategic Estates section.

You may also have to make an application for planning permission to change the use and pay the fee. The council's planning department will tell you whether planning permission is needed and the amount of the fee.

The council's tenancy or lease requires that tenants keep to the use specified in the tenancy or lease.

Maintenance of the property

This will depend on the specific clauses in your tenancy agreement. However on the majority of the estates the tenant will be responsible for the internal parts of the premises including the roller shutter door, windows and doors. The council will maintain the external fabric of the premises and the surrounding area including the estate signs.

The majority of the units have electricity and water services connected, although you should make your own enquiries as to the unit's suitability.

Storage outside the property

External storage is strictly banned at each of the estates.

If you wish to site a rubbish skip on council owned, managed or controlled land you must get written permission from the council. If your application is successful you will be responsible for all costs involved with hiring, fly-tipping (inside the skip and the surrounding area) and any other problems about the skip. All skips must be lockable and emptied on a regular basis. Other types of outside storage containers are not allowed.

Action will be taken by the council should a tenant fail to meet with these requirements.

Planning permission

Although the council is landlord, it is separate and independent from its role as planning authority. Whilst the landlord may show approval to a particular trade, this does not mean that you have planning permission to begin that trade. You need to make your own enquiries as to the suitability of your business.

End of lease

This is a complicated subject on which you should take legal advice. The length of the lease may seem clear. Under a workshop lease contracted out of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 either side may end the lease by giving a minimum of one month's written notice to quit.

However you should not assume that you can vacate the property at the end of the lease, as you will continue to be liable for the rent until you have given formal written notice to quit.