Search site

Funding Arrangements for Sheltered Housing

Information for people who live in Sheltered Housing or are receiving support services such as wardens and/or community alarms

What is this information about?

 It is about the funding arrangements used to pay for Support Services in Housing in England and Wales.These arrangements are known as 'Supporting People'.

What does this mean?

Rent in Sheltered Housing Schemes is now broken down into three parts:

  • Rent - Payment for your individual flat
  • Service Charge - Payment for other services e.g. communal areas and lifts
  • Support Costs - Payment for the warden or alarm systems

Supporting People may be able to help pay the support costs.

If you:

  • Move into Sheltered Housing
  • Transfer to another Sheltered Housing scheme
  • Are a Sheltered Housing Tenant not on Housing Benefit or cease to be eligible for Housing Benefit

You need to complete a Supporting People Funding Application Form.

These are available by contacting your Housing Provider or Warden.

When completed, please return it to the address on the Form.

What will happen then?

This depends upon the amount of Housing Benefit you receive:

If you receive full or partial Housing Benefit, Supporting People will pay your full support costs.This will be paid directly to your landlord.

If you are NOT receiving Housing Benefit, the Supporting People Team will contact you to undertake a financial assessment and notify you of the outcome.

This assessment is based on the Fair Charging Policy of the City and County of Swansea and reviewed annually.Your support costs may be paid in full or in part to your landlord.

Tenants are responsible for notifying the Supporting People Team and the Landlord of any changes of circumstances relevant to their application. If you fail to do so, you may be liable for any outstanding charges.

Comments and Complaints

If you are unhappy with any of the services Supporting People provide, please contact the Supporting People Team on the number below. If you are still not happy, the Team encourage you to use the Social Services complaints procedure.

Full details are given in the Social Services leaflet 'Making a Comment, Complaint or Compliment about Social Services' or ring (01792) 637345

Contact Details

For Further Information and Application Forms please contact your Landlord or the Supporting People Team.

The Supporting People Team 
3.1.1 Civic Centre 
Oystermouth Road

01792 637391 or 01792 637392


You should also contact the above if you would like a copy/copies of this information leaflet in a language other than Welsh or English or if you would like to receive it in another format e.g. large print, audio tape.

Powered by GOSS iCM