Toggle mobile menu visibility


If you keep wild animals for public exhibition you will need a zoo licence. Before applying for the licence you need to give notice that you intend to apply.

Before we issue the licence an officer from the council and a veterinary surgeon will inspect the buildings. You need to make sure you have planning permission for all of these before applying to us.  

These premises do not include circuses or pet shops which are covered under their own legislation.

How to give notice

At least two months before making an application for a licence, the applicant must give notice in writing (including by electronic means) to us their intention to make the application. The notice must identify:

  • the zoo's location
  • the types of animals and approximate number of each group kept for exhibition on the premises and the arrangements for their accommodation, maintenance and wellbeing
  • the approximate numbers and categories of staff to be employed in the zoo
  • the approximate number of visitors and motor vehicles for which accommodation is to be provided
  • the approximate number and position of access to be provided to the premises
  • how required conservation measures will be implemented at the zoo

At least two months before making the application, the applicant must also publish notice of that intention in one local newspaper and one national newspaper and exhibit a copy of that notice. The notice must identify the location of the zoo and state that the application notice to the local authority is available to be inspected at the local authority offices.

Download the  notice of intention form (PDF) [56KB] to give notice to the authority by post.

Download the  notice of intention form (PDF) [142KB] to give notice to one local newspaper, one national newspaper and at the premises.

In partnership with EUGO logo
How to apply

After the two month notice period you can apply to us to licence the zoo.

Apply for a licence to keep a zoo Apply for a licence to keep a zoo


Animal licences fees Animal licences fees

You must submit your fee with the application.  You will be asked to pay a further fee to cover the vets visit once that has taken place.

If you apply by post you should make cheques payable to 'City and County of Swansea' and send it with your completed form.


If you have any problems with your application or would like more information then please contact us on 01792 635600 or email Any applicant who is refused a certificate or who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their certificate can appeal to their local Magistrates' court within 28 days of the decision appealed.

Apply for a licence to keep a zoo

Use our online form to apply for a licence to keep wild animals for public exhibition.

Frequently asked questions about zoo licences

Find out answers to the most common questions we get asked about zoo licences.
Close Choose Language