Search site
Piggy bank

Who is Universal Credit for?

Universal Credit is the new benefit for people of working age. The only exception is that if you have 3 or more children living with you, you will not be able to claim Universal Credit for the first time after 13 December 2017 and will be directed to claim the benefits listed below.

Universal Credit will replace new claims for: 

  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

If you are in receipt of the benefits above, you may have to claim Universal Credit if your circumstances change which ends your entitlement. This is called 'natural' migration.

If the amount of Universal Credit is lower, you will not receive any protection and could experience a significant drop in income.  If you are in this position, you should seek advice and have a look at PDF Document Should you claim Universal Credit? (PDF, 26KB)Opens new window.

Before 13 December 2017 Universal Credit could only be claimed by new single jobseekers who met certain gateway conditions.  Once a decision was made awarding Universal Credit, the claimant would remain on Universal Credit even if they had a change of circumstances which meant that they no longer met the set criteria. 

The UK Government plans for everyone to receive Universal Credit eventually, instead of the old benefits.

Universal Credit won't replace these benefits, which will continue as normal:

  • Contributory Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Contributory Employment and Support Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance / Personal Independence Payments
  • Child Benefit
  • Carer's Allowance
Powered by GOSS iCM