Tourism research and statistics
Here are some quick facts and figures on the value of tourism to Swansea Bay:
Key facts and figures about Swansea
- Swansea's population is 247,000 (2019), and is projected to grow to 256,000 by 2030. It currently has a working age population (age 16-64) of 156,500.
- Over 600,000 people live within a 30 minute drive to Swansea and 2 million within an hour's drive-time.
- Swansea is home to over 26,000 students.
- There are 107,700 people in employment in Swansea, 87.5% of which in the service sectors.
- Over 70% of Swansea is rural and has 32 miles of coastline and over 50 beaches.
- Download the Swansea Business Guide 2021 for more facts and figures.
2019 STEAM tourism research summary
- Expenditure: £477.22 million (+ 2.2% on 2018)
- 4.79 million visitors to the area (- 0.2% on 2018)
- Number of jobs supported: 5,998 (+ 3.4% on 2018)
We use STEAM (Scarborough Tourism Economic Activity Model) to monitor the scale of tourism and trends in Swansea Bay.
You can download a copy of the 2019 STEAM Executive Summary at the bottom of this page.
2019 Visitor Survey findings
The results from our 2019 Visitor Survey can be found in the presentation below:
About our visitors
- Affluent 'Empty Nesters' aged 45+ years
- Affluent early retired couples aged 45+ years
- Younger affluent professionals aged 25 - 45 years
- Mid income families with children
- Businesses and groups
Where they come from
- UK: Midlands, London, South East, M4 Corridor, West Country and other parts of Wales
- Overseas: USA, Germany, Spain, Australia, France and Ireland and The Netherlands
If you have any queries, please call the Tourism Team on tel: 01792 635217 or email: Michelle.Grove@swansea.gov.uk