The Tennant Canal is 8 miles in length from Port Tennant, Swansea to its junction with the Neath Canal at Aberdulais and makes a very pleasant and tranquil walk through unspoilt landscapes despite its industrial associations.
The Tennant Canal was the brainchild of George Tennant who wanted to link the River Neath with the River Tawe. Work started on the canal in 1821 and eventually ran from the mouth of the River Tawe, near Swansea to Aberdulais Basin where it met the Neath Canal. Just before reaching Aberdulais Basin the canal had to cross the River Neath, which it did via the still spectacular Aberdulais Aqueduct.
Boats have not navigated the Tennant Canal since 1934 and yet it has survived more-or-less intact. This is largely down to the fact that the Tennant Canal (along with the Neath Canal) is used as a water source for local industries.
Tennant Canal is of importance for nature conservation. Aside from the water of the canal itself, additional wetland habitats include a fen and a small area of wet woodland. The site is known to be used by otter, and is of importance to a variety of bird species such as kingfisher, sedge warbler, peregrine and kestrel.
- Site of Importance for Nature Conservation (SINC 226)
Grid Reference SS689932
OS Explorer Map 165 Swansea
The start of the canal is in Port Tennant, approximately 2 miles from Swansea City Centre, adjacent to the A483.
Easy access along the tow path.
There are regular buses to Port Tennant, close to the start of the canal, at the junction of the A483 and the minor road to Port Tennant by the footbridge.
National Route 4 runs part way along the Tennant Canal.