Toggle mobile menu visibility

Port Health Authority pollution control

We issue permits regulating business activities which may impact upon the environment and human health.

Specific conditions are issued with such permits detailing pollution control  measures which are legally bidding. There are currently no Part A (2) activities within our jurisdiction but there are nine Part B activities relating to the handling of cement, coal products and mobile screening plant. A fee is payable for each application and an annual subsistence charge also applies to each process, which are subject to periodic revue and inspections on a risk-accessed basis.

Public register

A register is maintained by this Authority of each permitted process and is available at our offices. Please contact us if you wish further information.

Businesses and permitted processes
Name of businessPermitted process
D Shed, Kings Dock, SwanseaPermitted coal handling processes
4 Quay, Kings Dock, SwanseaPermitted coal handling processes
4 Quay West, Kings Dock, SwanseaPermitted coal handling processes
Graigola Wharf, Kings Dock, SwanseaPermitted coal handling processes
Neath Cargo Terminal, Briton Ferry, NeathPermitted coal handling processes
Cemex Plant, Kings Dock, SwanseaPermitted cement handling processes
Premier Cement, 6 Quay, Kings Dock, SwanseaPermitted cement handling processes
Tarmac Trading Limited, Iron Works Wharf, Briton Ferry, NeathPermitted cement handling processes
Stenor Mobile, Kings Dock, SwanseaPermitted mobile plant

Complaints about noise or poor air quality

Noise complaints can be made to the relevant local authority environmental health department.

Report a pollution problem to Swansea Council

Noise nuisance information from Neath Port Talbot Council (opens new window)

Noise nuisance information from Bridgend Council (Shared Regulatory Services) (opens new window)

If you have a complaint about air pollution, odour or dust emitting from the port district then please contact us providing details. Upon receipt of a complaint we will visit the person allegedly responsible and offer advice in resolving the problem. If this approach is unsuccessful we will undertake a formal investigation which may include our officers carrying out monitoring and observations from the complainant's premises, and we may ask the complainant to keep records of how they are affected.  If we are satisfied an offence has been committed we have various legal powers to resolve the issue. We strive to respond to all complaints on the day of receipt.