Search site

Supporting People Services

Accommodation related support to reduce tenancy breakdowns, reducing hospital, residential care admissions and promote independent living across a wide range of vulnerable people

This page provides general information about Supporting People and may be for you if you need some kind of help or support with your accommodation so that you can live independently.

What is Supporting People?

It is a Government initiative for supporting people in their homes which commenced April 2003. Services are jointly planned through Social Services, Housing, Health and Probation.

Supporting People funds Support Services. 

The City and County of Swansea Supporting People Team are responsible for administering this at local level.The funding is aimed at providing accommodation related support to reduce tenancy breakdowns, reducing hospital, residential care admissions and promote independent living across a wide range of vulnerable people including:

  • Young persons
  • Older persons
  • Chronically sick or disabled persons
  • Homeless persons
  • People experiencing domestic abuse
  • People with a learning disability
  • People experiencing mental health problems
  • People in Sheltered Housing
  • People who have issues around 
    substance misuse
  • Ex-offenders 

The services can be provided in your own home or other supported accommodation

Supporting People Objectives

  • Provide a range of support services to reduce the risk of homelessness and to protect vulnerable people.
  • Provide people with a range of supported housing meeting the variety of assessed needs within the community.
  • Provide a programme that delivers quality of life and promotes independence.
  • Provide services that are of a high quality, strategically planned, cost effective and complement existing Care services.
  • Ensure that the planning and development of services is needs-led.
  • Ensure a working partnership of local government, probation, health, voluntary sector organisations, housing associations, support agencies and service users.
  • Monitor and review support services.

What Support Services are available?

Supporting People funds several different types of support:

Floating Support 
Support Worker visits the person in their home and gives regular support for an agreed period of time.

Supported Housing 
A person moves into accommodation where support is provided.

Shared Support 
A person moves into accommodation with shared facilities where the support is provided.

Direct Access Hostels 
24 hour access to support including Women's Aid Refuge.

The above types of support can provide various kinds of help on such things as budgeting and daily life skills, or help so that you feel safe and secure in your own home.It could give you opportunities to extend your skills, interests and friendships, or to access training, further education, employment etc.

How can I get Support Services?

Who you contact depends upon your particular circumstances.

If you are a local authority tenant contact your housing provider - this will be your local district Housing Office or Tenancy Support Unit. If you are a Housing Association tenant contact your landlord.

If you receive a service from Social Services you need to talk to your social worker or care manager.

If you are homeless contact:

Housing Options 
17-19 High Street 
Telephone: 01792 533100

If you are under 21 and homeless contact:

The Bays Project 
32-36 High Street 

01792 455105

If you are not sure who to contact, you can get in touch with:

The Supporting People Team 
3.1.1 Civic Centre 
Oystermouth Road

01792 637391 or 01792 637392

Housing Related and Support Services

Supporting People Services maintains a directory of services relating to housing support and prevention of homelessness

PDF Document Directory Of Housing Related and Support Services 2015 - 2016 (PDF, 339KB)Opens new window

Powered by GOSS iCM