Toggle mobile menu visibility

Bank holiday information - May

Bank holiday information for our services, including opening times and emergency contacts. All recycling collections will take place on the usual days.

Student Electoral Registration

As a student, you can register at both your term time address and at the address you live at outside of term time.

Lots of students are missing from the electoral register which means you don't get a say in how things are run.  The electoral register is also used in Credit Referencing when buying some items, such as mobile phones, or opening a bank account. Some employers also check Credit Referencing. 

You need to register in order to be able to vote in elections and referenda.  The way you register to vote has changed in 2014.

The new system means:

  • You can now register online.
  • Everyone is responsible for registering themselves. Under the old system the 'head of every household' could register everyone who lived at their address.
  • You need to provide a few details to register - including your National Insurance number and date of birth. This makes the electoral register more secure.

Registering to vote is quick, easy and secure:

  1. Go to - Register to vote (opens new window)
  2. Fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You'll also need your National Insurance number, which can be found on your National Insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits.
  3. Look out for confirmation from the Electoral Services to say you're registered.

Can I vote twice - at home and at uni?

It is a criminal offence to vote twice in a UK general election. Even if you are registered in two areas - at home and at uni - you can only vote in one at a general election.

However, if your home and uni addresses are in two different local authority areas, you can vote in local elections in both.

Close Choose Language