Search site

Sight Loss

Information for people who are blind, partially sighted or losing their sight.

Support from Social Services

Swansea Social Services has a Sensory Services Team which includes specialist social workers and care managers who support people with sight loss. They can provide a range of information and practical support.  You may be referred to Social Services by the Eye Clinic at Singleton Hospital, or you can refer yourself or someone you are concerned about by contacting our Sensory Services Team.

The team is based at Swansea Vale Resource Centre and can deal with any queries in relation to sensory loss from  9.00 am to 1.00 pm Monday to Friday.

Tel: 01792 315969  (Duty Line)

Text Relay: 18001 01792 315969

Fax: 01792 785021

SMS: 07919 626434




Services for People who have Sight Loss  explains more about the role of the Sensory Services Team. You can also download/print this information as a factsheet   PDF Document Services for People who have a Sight Loss (PDF, 28KB)Opens new window

Social Services can also offer short-term rehabilitation support to people with a sight impairment. The aim is to enable people to find new ways of doing things that they are finding difficult, and to look for practical solutions to encourage greater independence. To use this service you would first need to have an assessment of your needs.  Care and Support Assessments for Adults has more information about assessments.  You can also download/print this information as a factsheet  PDF Document Social Services: Care and Support Assessments for Adults (Factsheet 001) (PDF, 115KB)Opens new window

Registering as Blind or Partially Sighted

In order to register as blind or partially sighted you will need to obtain a CVI (Certificate of Vision Impairment) from an ophthalmic specialist.

Registration is voluntary. Most of the services, benefits and concessions available to disabled people only require people to meet the criteria to be registered and not actually to register. However there are a few benefits which are only available to people who register.

More information about registering as disabled.

Powered by GOSS iCM