Search site



Hand over house

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing provides tenants with a self contained property with the benefit of a dedicated warden.

View sheltered complexes

Sheltered Housing provides self contained accommodation for tenants aged over 60 enable them to remain independent but has the added benefit of communal facilities such as a lounge and a warden who can be contacted via an intercom system without leaving the property.  The Housing Service currently owns and manages 31 complexes consisting of flats and bungalows which are situated in most areas across the city.

Can I apply for sheltered housing?

To apply for sheltered housing you must be over 60 years of age or if you are younger, you may also be considered if there are special circumstances. To apply: 

How do I apply for sheltered housing?

Sheltered properties are allocated in line with the Housing Policy and the highest pointed applicant eligible applicant.

Where does Swansea Council have sheltered complexes?

The Housing Service currently owns and manages 31 complexes of flats and bungalows which are situated in most areas across the city.  There is a sheltered complex map of locations and information on each complex's facilities. 

What happens when if I am offered a sheltered property?

When you are offered a sheltered housing property, the Neighbourhood Officer will arrange to meet with you and show you around the property and introduce you to the warden. The warden will also be able to answer any questions that you may have about moving into a sheltered scheme and will be able to offer you advice and assistance.

How secure will the scheme be?

The warden is responsible for ensuring that the complex is a safe and secure environment for you to live in, and for your friends and relations to visit. The security of your individual accommodation is your responsibility. The warden will be able to offer advice about security measures that you may be able to take to make you feel more secure in your home.

Buildings insurance for your home is covered by part of the rent that you pay. You are advised to take out your own contents insurance to cover your belongings. The City and County of Swansea operate a reduced cost insurance policy.

Will I be visited by the warden?

All sheltered tenants can be visited on a regular basis by their designated warden during normal working hours from Monday to Friday. The frequency of visits will be determined with the warden depending on your support needs.  The warden will complete a Support Plan normally on an annual basis to identify the support you require.

On weekends and Bank Holidays the visits will be carried out by Care Assistants employed by April Care Solutions. . The warden will assess if there is a support need for these visits as part of the Support Planning process.

The visit that the warden makes is an important element in the support that Swansea Council can provide you with. The visit by the warden will:

  • Enable the warden to check on your general health and well being
  • Provide you with assurance and peace of mind
  • Provide you with a means of reporting concerns and seeking advice and assistance from other agencies

The amount and level of support will be determined by your needs. Staff are there to support you in being able to live an independent lifestyle.

However the warden will not clean, cook, administer medication, provide personal care etc.

Will the warden be able to enter my property without consent?

The warden will not give your key to anyone unless they are on your nominated 'key holders' list. However, you can give your key to anyone you wish.

Accessing anyone's home is a not an action which any staff member from Swansea Council will take lightly. The warden will only consider entering you home if all other checks that have been made have failed. The warden may also enter your home only when and if there is immediate concern for your safety and well being. Such times could be:

  • When a tenant can be seen through a window or a letterbox and is seen either to be incapacitated or in serious difficulties
  • When either a neighbour or a relation has informed the warden that they have serious concerns for your well being

Do the complexes have anywhere that my relatives can stay if they visit overnight?

Some complexes have guest rooms which can be made available to visitors or relatives of a sheltered tenant who need to stay overnight because of the ill health of a tenant or because they live too far away to travel. A charge will be made for use of the room. If urgent use of the guest room is needed and there is not one available at the complex where you live, enquiries can be made at complexes nearby.

What is the emergency alarm system?

All sheltered housing properties managed by Swansea Council are fitted with an emergency alarm system which consists of pull cords and intercoms fitted in your property and all communal areas. These can be used in emergencies at any time of day or night. When the warden is on duty and the alarm is activated the call will go directly to the warden.  When the warden is unavailable the call will be answered by Careline who will get assistance to you. The most vulnerable and immobile tenants can also have a 'warden call' pendant which is worn around the neck or wrist to summon help when needed. Your warden will assess if you are eligible for one of these.

How do I get repairs done?

Any repairs which are needed to your property should be reported to the Repairs Contact Centre on 01792 635100 between 8.30am and 5.00pm Monday - Thursday and 8.30am - 4.30pm Fridays or to your warden who will report it for you. Any emergency repairs which occur out of these hours should be reported on 01792 521500.

Do the complexes have any social activities?

The warden will encourage and help tenants to organise social activities and events for the other tenants. Joint activities between complexes can also be arranged. The range of activities include: coffee mornings, bingo, theatre trips, talks and seminars, theme nights and hobby groups etc. Tenants are encouraged to join in as this can reduce any feelings of loneliness and isolation and develops strong community spirit. However tenants do not have to participate if they don't want to.

How do I end a sheltered tenancy?

Please see Leaving council housing for more information.

What if I need other help?

Social Services may be able to offer assistance to help you live in your home more independently. They offer a range of services, some of which include:

  • Home Care or private domestic domiciliary care
  • Specialised equipment for use in your home
  • Advice and information

If you have any enquiries for Social Services please telephone them during office hours on 01792 636519 or contact the Common Access Point for Health and Social Care

Powered by GOSS iCM