Search site
Lady and child

Thinking of setting up your own childcare business?

Prior to starting your business you should consider the type of childcare already operating in the area you have chosen. You should also investigate the demand for the type of childcare you want to provide.

Swansea Family Information Service logo

Assessing parental demand may help you to determine if your business will be sustainable now and in the future.

The Family Information Service can provide you with a copy of the Childcare Sufficiency Audit (CSA).  The audit has consulted with parents/carers and childcare providers in Swansea to identify the gaps in childcare provision.  The CSA could be a useful tool when carrying out your market research as it may enable you to identify a specific demand.

The role of Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW)

The CIW regulate and inspect day care services for children under 12 years, these include:

  • Childminders
  • Full day care
  • Sessional day care
  • Out of school childcare
  • Creches
  • Open access play

All childcare settings looking after children under the age of 12 and operating for more than 1 hour and 59 minutes must be registered with the CIW.

The main aims of registration is to promote quality and to protect children, ensuring that they are cared for in safe and suitable surroundings.

A childcare setting must meet the CIW National Minimum Standards before registration can be granted.

If your business is going to care for children under the age of 12 for more than the time specified and you are not registered with the CIW you will be breaking the law.

The CIW will continue to inspect the setting(s) to ensure the registered person is continuing to meet the National Minimum Standards and Regulations when operating.

The National Minimum Standards are published on the CIW website.  You can also obtain a hard copy by contacting your regional CIW office.

Development Officers - Partner Organisations

The City and County of Swansea support a number of Development Officers who are employed by partner organisations.  These Development Officers can provide support and guidance to prospective and existing childcare settings; this includes starting or developing a childcare business.

Please be aware the information you receive from a Development Officer is ONLY a guide, the CIW reserve the right to enforce changes where they feel the childcare setting is not meeting the standards.

PDF Document Thinking of setting up your own childcare business? (PDF, 1MB)Opens new window

Becoming a registered childminder

Childminders work in their own home and are registered to care for no more than six children under 12 (including their own children).

Community childminding scheme

A community childminder must be registered with the CIW.

Childminding qualification

Understand how to set up a home based childcare service (CYPOP 5).

Sessional care (playgroup and/or wrap around care)

Playgroups usually operate from community centres, schools or church buildings and offer sessional care for children aged between 2 and 5 years.

Sessional care (Cylch Meithrin - Welsh Medium playgroups)

You will work in a setting where children are offered play and learning experiences through the medium of Welsh, whilst also providing valuable help and support to families from non Welsh speaking backgrounds who have the desire to learn Welsh.

Full day care (day nursery)

Day nurseries offer full and part time care for children aged 3 months - 5 years, they operate throughout the year and usually open Monday to Friday from 8am - 6pm (some are extended to include Saturdays).

Out of school childcare club (breakfast and/or after school clubs)

Out of school childcare clubs provide care for children aged 4 - 14 years.

Holiday childcare club / playscheme

Holiday clubs/playschemes provide care for children aged 4 - 14 years, they operate during school holidays and sometimes during school inset days.

Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS)

An executive agency of the Home Office set up to help organisations make safer recruitment decisions.

Qualifications and Career options

Social Care Wales and Skills Active provides information on the National Qualifications Framework.

Powered by GOSS iCM