School place online application frequently asked questions
Applying online for Reception and Year 7 frequently asked questions.
Why apply for a Reception or Year 7 school place online?
- It is quick and easy.
- You can apply from home 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (within the published deadlines).
- There is no risk your application will be lost in the post.
- You will receive an email confirming receipt that your application has been submitted and received by the authority.
- The system is secure and has a series of security features that will prevent others from seeing your information.
- The system is compatible for use with a number of electronic devices, including mobile phones.
- You will be able to view your offer on your online account on the published offer day (year 7 is 1 March 2023 and Reception is 17 April 2023).
- Applications for places in schools outside of the City and County of Swansea should be made directly to the local authority concerned.
Can I get information about schools before I apply?
We have details about all schools in Swansea - School contact details.
How do I apply for a Reception or Year 7 school place?
The application process is very important and the Information for parents booklet details how you should make an application, how places are allocated and the local authority's over subscription criteria should a school receive more applications than there are places available. It is essential you read the booklet as you will have to confirm you have read the information before you make your application.
- The person with parental responsibility must submit the application. Where there is shared parental responsibility all parents should be in agreement about the preferences listed in the application. It is the parents' responsibility to come to this agreement.
- Create an account on the online facility - please ensure that you keep a note of your account throughout the process.
- You will receive a verification email which will contain a link where you can log in to the online facility and make your application.
- Once you have added your preferences and are happy that your application is complete - please do not forget to submit your application.
- You will receive an email to confirm that your application has been submitted.
- It is important to note that only one application should be submitted for each child. If more than one application is received, then only the latest application will be processed with previous applications being disregarded. If we receive more than one application for the same pupil requesting a different preference on each application, the forms will be returned unprocessed until an agreed decision is made by those with parental responsibility.
Applications for a school place can be made online for all children who are due to transfer from primary school to secondary school (Year 7) in September 2023 and children eligible for a full time Reception place in a primary school (primary) in September 2023. Paper applications are also accepted.
To access the online application form follow this link: Apply for a school place for Reception or Year 7 (September 2023).
Will I receive an acknowledgement when I have submitted my application?
If you apply for a school place using the online application page you will be asked to provide an email address when you register. You will receive an acknowledgement by email when you register on the website and another acknowledgement email when you submit your application.
However, sometimes software on your computer (for example, security software or firewalls) can prevent this getting through. If you do not receive your confirmation, please check your spam folder.
I have filled in the online form to register but have not yet received an email?
It is possible that the email has been quarantined by anti-spam measures taken by your internet service provider (ISP) or by settings in your mail client. Check to make sure that, if you are an Outlook/Outlook Express user, the relevant email has not been misidentified as 'junk' and deposited in the junk folder. If the email has definitely not been delivered to you then contact your ISP to see whether the email can be tracked and its fate discovered.
The service providers who suffer most from the problem of incorrectly identifying key emails as spam have proved to be aol.com, hotmail.com, hotmail.co.uk, yahoo.co.uk, yahoo.com and btinternet.com.
The link in the registration email to validate my online account will not work. I can not click on it?
As an alternative to clicking on the link in the email, try copy and pasting the full link (including the https:// part) direct into the address field in your browser. If this does not work, check that you are using the most up to date version of your chosen browser. You may also need to enable pop-ups and relax the security settings on your system/browser to allow this process to succeed.
If I cannot finish the application all at once, can I go back to it later?
Yes. You can save your application and return to it later if you wish, but you must complete and submit your application by the relevant closing date.
Having made an application online, can I change my preferences?
Before the closing date you can change your preferences online by logging back into the site and clicking on 'Edit Preferences'. You will need to submit your application again; if you do not your changes will not be recorded.
After the closing date you cannot change your preference unless there is a genuine reason for doing so - for example, if your family have recently moved address. This is in accordance with the School Admissions Code. Evidence of the move will be required.
If you wish to change your school preference after the published closing date for applications or after an offer of a place has been made on the statutory offer day, a new application will need to be submitted. A new application made will be a late application and will supersede any earlier applications received and any offers that were previously made would no longer be available.
What happens if I forget my password?
If you forget your password, there is a prompt that you can click on and you will be sent out a new password. Once you have logged on you can then change the password.
What can I do if I have any further questions?
Please contact the Admissions Team if you have any other queries or need help using the online system.