Toggle mobile menu visibility

How can you report someone you suspect is committing fraud?

Please help us prevent, detect and deter fraud. If you suspect that someone is committing fraud against the council you should report them straight away.

There are a number of ways you can do this confidentially.  You don't have to give your name unless you want to.

Housing Benefit fraud

Report Housing Benefit fraud on website (opens new window)

You can also telephone 0800 854440 or write to NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston, PR1 1GP.

The Department for Work and Pensions are responsible for investigating all Housing Benefit fraud.

Council Tax Reduction fraud

Report Council Tax Reduction fraud

You can also telephone 01792 635359, email or write to Corporate Fraud Team, Internal Audit Section, Finance and Delivery, Corporate Services Department, Civic Centre, Swansea, SA1 3SN

Blue Badge fraud or misuse

Report Blue Badge fraud or misuse

You can also telephone 01792 637366 or email or write to Blue Badge Team, Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road, Swansea, SA1 3SN.

Our Blue Badge fraud or misuse page has details on the types of misuse or fraud that should be reported to us. 

Other frauds perpetrated against the City and County of Swansea

Report fraud

You can also telephone 01792 635359, email or write to Corporate Fraud Team, Internal Audit Section, Civic Centre, Swansea, SA1 3SN.

Examples of other frauds include the following (the list is not exhaustive).

Council Housing Tenancy fraud

  • unlawful subletting - This is where the legitimate tenant moves out without the knowledge of the council, continues to pay the rent, and charges the unlawful occupier a higher rent thus making a profit.
  • not living at the property or non-occupation - This is where someone has a council property they do not live in.  They will be in breach of their tenancy agreement which states that:
    • the tenant must use the property as their only or principal home, and
    • the tenant must tell the housing office if they will be away from their home for more than a month.
  • fraudulent applications - This is where someone gives false information on their application for council housing, right-to-buy, mutual exchange, or assignment of tenancy.
  • wrongly claimed succession - This is where someone who is not entitled to, tries to take over or succeed the tenancy.  For example, they might say they lived with the tenant before they died, when in fact they were living elsewhere.
  • key selling - This is where a tenant is paid to pass on their keys in return for a one-off payment to someone who then takes over the tenancy illegally.
  • with a great demand for social housing it is important we tackle council housing tenancy fraud to make sure homes are allocated to those who need and deserve it. Anyone found committing this type of fraud could be evicted from the property as well as facing criminal charges.

Council Tax Single Person Discount

  • this can be a council tax payer who is receiving a 25% discount on their council tax but who is not living alone.

Direct Payments for care

  • this can be where an individual is receiving payments from the council to provide care for themselves or another person, but some or all of the money is not being spent on care.


  • this can be where grants can be made to individuals or organisations to assist their operations or to adapt homes to accommodate specific needs of the occupants are not being used for the intended purpose.

Supplier / contract fraud

  • this can be where a supplier or contractor knowingly provides goods or products that are inferior or of a cheaper cost to them, when the council has paid for and is expecting goods or products of a higher quality.


You can report any fraud that does not involve or affect the City and County of Swansea to Action Fraud

Report a fraud including online crime - Action Fraud (opens new window)

You can also telephone 0300 123 2040.