Toggle mobile menu visibility

Private rented housing

The demand for council and housing association accommodation is high and waiting times for accommodation in many areas is extremely long. You should therefore also consider renting in the private sector as an option.

You should check the rent levels and the length of the tenancy before moving in. Renting from a private landlord may be the only option for many people particularly if you want to live in areas where there is little or no council or housing association homes.

Here are a few ideas if you are looking for a private rented home:

  1. Internet - many internet sites may be able to help you find somewhere to live. New websites are created regularly and using a search engine will also help you find somewhere to live. In addition to letting agency and landlord websites, you can also find details of other people looking to rent or share a home on internet blogs and social networking sites.
  2. Local papers - the South Wales Evening Post publishes a property supplement every week. Copies are available from Housing Options, letting agencies, shops and supermarkets.
  3. Noticeboards - cards placed in newsagents notice boards advertise flats or rooms at the cheaper end of the market. You should go around the area you are interested in as regularly as you can.
  4. Students union or college - if you are a student, your college may be able to help you find somewhere to stay. You should contact your students union or accommodation officer.
  5. Accommodation or letting agencies - accommodation agencies let and manage rooms, flats and houses on behalf of private landlords. Most agencies advertise in the local paper, Yellow Pages and Thomson Directory.
  6. Word of mouth - it is quite common for people to hear of rooms or flats by word of mouth from friends or work mates, so it is an idea to let everyone know that you are looking.
  7. Bond board - if you need help to raise the money for a deposit or bond you may be able to get help from the Swansea Bond Board. The bond board can offer landlords a guarantee certificate in place of a deposit. The bond board can be contacted on 01792 533139.

Environmental Health oversee the improvement and maintenance of standards in the private rented housing sector: Landlords, home owners and private tenants

Close Choose Language