Primary Authority scheme
All businesses can now benefit from Primary Authority. This is a partnership forming a contract between Swansea Council and your business to give on-going advice and support on specific areas of regulation applicable to your business.
You can rely on the advice you receive from Swansea Council, assured that it is expert opinion applicable across the UK. Under the scheme, other regulators are unable to take enforcement action when you follow specific advice given by us.
Partnerships can cut costs by providing certainty to your business, reducing risk and aiding compliance.
The Primary Authority scheme was set up under the Regulatory Enforcement and Sanctions Act 2008 and is administered by the Office for Product Safety and Standards.
How will it help your business?
Primary Authority partnership will give these benefits:
- simplify regulatory processes by providing a single point of contact
- save you money by reducing your compliance costs
- cut your risk
- improve standards
- result in fewer inspections, information requests and checks on your business nationally
- help you manage relationships with local authorities across the UK
- a guaranteed level of support from professionally qualified officers
Who is it for?
If your business trades in Swansea or has companies or outlets based in Swansea you are able to apply. For example:
- service providers
- national chains
- local businesses
If you are in doubt as to whether Primary Authority partnership applies to your business then please contact to talk about the scope and type of your business. We can then give you the best choice for your business.
Areas we cover
Partnerships cover the full range of Trading Standards and Food hygiene regulations. We draw expertise from our professional and fully qualified Trading Standards and Environmental Health officers. This means that we have a wealth of experience as well as a broad range of skills.
The areas of legislation a partnership can include are:
- age restricted sales
- agriculture/animal feed
- consumer protection - consumer rights
- explosives licensing
- fair trading
- farm animal health
- food standards including allergens
- metrology (weights and measures)
- petroleum licensing
- product safety
The exact content and scope of the partnership is agreed to suit the requirements of each individual business and will be different for each partnership. This scope can be looked at at any time if further advice on a new area is needed.
Our fees cover the costs of running the Primary Authority. The amount of time needed will depend on the level of support your business needs, which will form part of the early talks. Each business is different and so the amount of time needed varies between partnerships. Flexible payment options are available, depending on the needs of your business, including standing orders or quarterly invoicing.
We also charge an initial set up fee and an annual renewal fee which varies per partnership. This covers the costs of us:
- setting up the Primary Authority agreement with your business
- registering the application with the Office of Product Safety and Standards
- applying for approval from the Secretary of State
- an action plan (if suitable) and familiarisation visit by your Primary Authority officer during the application process
- all other administration at the start of the partnership and on the annual review of the partnership
- regular meetings and reviews of the partnership
|Primary Authority service||Cost|
|Initial set up fee on first registering||£300.00|
|Annual review fee||£300.00|