Statistics on population and households - population estimates, recent trends, small area data, density, population characteristics, household estimates, population and household projections.
The latest official estimate of the population of the City and County of Swansea is the 2021 Census estimate. Further information about the initial Census results is available at www.swansea.gov.uk/2021census_results.
This page contains information on the annual mid-year estimates of population and will be updated further when the 2021 estimates - the first based on the 2021 Census results - are published. An equivalent (mid-year) estimate for 2021 will not be published before autumn 2022.
Further information on the mid-2020 population estimates for Swansea, including breakdowns by age and sex, data for other local authorities, Wales and UK, and recent trends (2019-1920), is available in a on this page. These were the last annual local authority population estimates published by ONS before the 2021 Census results.
More detailed information on population and demography is included in the following pages:
- 2021 Census: first results
- Population trends (mid-year estimates to 2020)
- Small area population estimates: 2020 and earlier
- Population density, including small areas in Swansea
- Population characteristics: ethnicity, country of birth and nationality; students in Swansea
- Household estimates (2020)
- Population and household projections (Welsh Government)
A broad range of statistics on population and household characteristics are also available via our 2011 Census pages.
If you have further enquiries regarding population statistics in Swansea, please contact us.