Toggle mobile menu visibility

Planning appeals

If you seek permission to carry out works to your property and your application isn't decided within a set period, or you get a decision from your local council that you disagree with, you have a right to appeal.

You also have the right to appeal if you have been served with an enforcement notice.

All appeals are administered by Planning and Environment Decisions Wales on behalf of the Welsh Government which is located at Crown Buildings, Cathays Park, Cardiff.

Appeals process

Inspectors decide most appeals, but in cases where they make a report to the Welsh Ministers the appeal is decided by the Welsh Ministers.

Once your appeal has been submitted, it will be checked to make sure that everything is in order. The case officer dealing with your appeal will let you know what else you need to do during the course of your appeal, and when you need to do it. After all the documentation has been gathered together, the inspector will consider all the evidence in the light of:

  • the development plan 
  • local and national policy 
  • your statement of case 
  • the local authority's statement of case
  • comments you make on their statement and vice versa 
  • comments submitted by anyone else

Your case will be considered on its merits. Your statement should cover all the points that you consider relevant, but you should try to keep it as short as possible. The inspector appointed to deal with your appeal has access to all national planning policy and if you want to refer to it, you need only quote the particular paragraph(s) of the relevant document(s).

Where the inspector is deciding the case, the case officer will send the decision to you. Where the inspector is not making the decision, the report will be sent to the officials acting for the Welsh Ministers, and they will let you know the decision.

Make an appeal

Submit an appeal and find out more about the appeals process: Planning appeals (Welsh Government) (opens new window)

Close Choose Language