Toggle mobile menu visibility

Petroleum storage certificates

The safe storage of petrol is covered by legislation to help prevent fire and explosion which can occur if there is a source of ignition nearby.

You will need to apply for a petroleum storage certificate if you are a

  • workplace that stores petrol where petrol is dispensed directly into the tank of a vehicle with an internal combustion engine, ie retail and non retail petrol filling stations;
  • non-workplace premises storing petrol, for example at private homes, or at clubs/associations (or similar)

The certificates are issued by the petroleum enforcement authority. Swansea Council is the petroleum enforcement authority for the Swansea area. This forms part of the Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014


The certificates contain information specific to the site, such as the storage arrangements, as well as detail about the validity of the certificate and circumstances where the enforcing authority must be told about any prescribed material changes.

Premises selling petroleum spirit should be constructed and maintained so that the product is dispensed safely and does not present a danger to the general public. We also expect that the premises storing petroleum spirit are correctly and safely maintained with clear management procedures and clear operating procedures by staff who are properly and appropriately trained.


A keeper is a person who keeps petrol on dispensing premises, who has responsibility for the safe operation of the site and will be legally obliged to ensure the site is compliant with the regulations.

The keeper must:

  • tell the petroleum enforcement authority prior to occupation of a certified site.
  • make sure scale drawings are available on site to form part of the emergency plan.
  • tell the petroleum enforcement authority of any incidents occurring, in line with the nationally accepted guidance of best practice on reporting incidents, including leaks, spills, damage to the petrol installation etc.
  • tell the petroleum enforcement authority if prescribed material changes are made to the certificated premises.
  • continue to meet all other legislation relevant to the safe operation of the site for example the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 and the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmosphere Regulations 2002.
  • tell the petroleum enforcement authority if they wish to cease occupation/operation.

Prescribed material change

A prescribed material change to premises covers the following changes:

  • ceasing use of one or more of the petrol storage tanks;
  • removing or permanently decommissioning one or more of the petrol storage tanks;
  • installing any tank, pipework or vapour pipework associated with the storage and dispensing of petrol;
  • installing any petrol pump, any other automotive pump, or dispenser in a new location.

In partnership with EUGO logo
How to apply

Apply online for a petroleum storage certificate Apply online for a petroleum storage certificate

You must complete the application form in full. You will need to pay the application fee when you submit your form. 

This form is available in Welsh - click on 'Cymraeg' in the top right corner of your screen.


You must submit your fee with the application. 

If you apply by post you should make cheques payable to 'City and County of Swansea' and send it with your completed form.

The amount of fees depend on the volume of petrol stored.

Fees for petroleum storage licence
Type of licenceAmount
Band A capacity not exceeding 2,500 litres    £48.00
Band B 2,500 - 50,000 litres      £65.00
Band C greater than 50,000 litres    £137.00


Tacit consent

It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact Trading Standards.


If you have any problems with your application or would like more information then please contact us on 01792 635600 or email Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to the Secretary of State.

Close Choose Language