Governor training - newly appointed governors (mandatory)
This session will give new governors an overview of the responsibilities of governors, what makes an effective governing body and the governor's role in school improvement.
It will provide you with the opportunity to work in groups with other new governors and senior officers of the local authority who are involved with governing bodies and to receive up to date information to support you in your new role.
Mandatory governor training came into force in September 2013.
Governors will need to complete mandatory Newly Appointed Governors training within one year if:
- they have been appointed/elected after September 2013; or
- they have been in post for less than two years, and have not completed Newly Appointed Governor training; or
- they have a break in service of five years or more.
Governors will be exempt from attending mandatory Newly Appointed Governors training if:
- they have been in post for two years or more; or
- they have already attended Newly Appointed Governor training in the last two years.