Lotteries and raffles
If your organisation or society is planning a lottery or raffle it will need a certificate of registration from us.
If you are running a lottery or raffle you must follow these guidelines:
- each ticket you sell should cost the same. There is no maximum price for a ticket.
- the maximum annual amount a lottery can raise by the sale of tickets is £250,000. If you think your lottery may go over this amount, you should consult the Gambling Commission.
- no single prize may be worth more than £25,000. Prizes can be either monetary or non-monetary, ie cash, cheques or items.
- at least 20% of the lottery proceeds MUST be applied to the purposes of the society.
- rollovers between lotteries are allowed where each lottery affected is a small society lottery promoted by the same society, and the maximum single prize is £25,000. Every ticket in the lottery must cost the same and the ticket fee must be paid to the society (ie the society must take payment) before entry into any of the draws is allowed.
- you can issue 'virtual tickets' which are subject to the same requirements of a paper ticket.
- anyone over the age of 16 can sell tickets. They can be bought by anyone over the age of 16.
What needs to go on a lottery ticket?
- the name of the promoting society.
- the price of the ticket.
- the name and address of the member of the society who is designated as having responsibility at the society for promoting small lotteries.
- if there is an external lottery manager, the name and address of the external lottery manager designated as having responsibility for promoting the lottery
- the date of the draw.
Records and returns
Lottery promoters must maintain written records of any unsold and returned tickets for a period of one year from the date of the lottery draw. The council is permitted to inspect the records of the lottery for any purpose related to the lottery.
No later then three months after the draw you should submit returns to the council. You should give details of the amount raised, how much was deducted for prizes and how much was deducted to cover costs.
If you have any problems with your application or would like more information then please contact us on 01792 635600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.