Volunteer litter picking
If you'd like to litter pick in your local area, this is how you can get involved.
Litter picking is a great way to bring a community together. It can also make a huge difference to the local environment, allowing nature to thrive and creating better spaces for everyone.
- Use one of the litter picking hubs listed below
- Individuals and families can become Litter Champions on the Caru Cymru website
- To join an existing litter picking group in your area or help set one up, follow this link to Caru Cymru's community group pages
Please arrange for your bags to be collected by the council. Rubbish bags left without prior arrangement will be regarded as fly-tipping and could lead to fines and prosecution.
Litter picking hubs
There are a number of litter picking hubs in Swansea offering equipment and support for volunteers.
The hubs provide the kit, safety guidance and insurance for you to undertake the activity safely and can be found at:
- Blaenymaes Drop-in Centre
- Brynhyfryd Library
- Central Library
- Clydach Library
- Environment Centre
- Gorseinon Library
- Killay Library
- Morriston Library
- Penlan Library
- Pontarddulais Library
- Sketty Library
- St Thomas Library*
- Townhill Library
Each hub has approximately 20-30 litter pickers, hoops and hi-vis vests available to borrow. Groups can request to borrow from multiple sites if necessary (*5 sets of kit only in St Thomas).
Who can take part
What to do with the rubbish collected
Coastal and beach clean-ups
Rubbish will be collected from beaches managed by the council (Swansea Bay / Bracelet / Langland / Caswell / Port Eynon) - for other beaches you will need to contact the owners for permission and to arrange for collection of the rubbish.
- Individuals, families, and small groups
Please leave your collected bags safely and tidily next to any of the litter or dog bins in the locations listed above so we can easily access them. These bins are emptied daily.
- Larger groups
Larger group events will need to request collection of rubbish, please allow at least 5 working days' notice using the link below.
All other litter picks
Clean-ups elsewhere in Swansea will need to provide at least 5 working days' notice at the link below
We can then contact you to arrange collection and disposal of the waste.
Covid Guidance - Alert Level 0
- There are no restrictions on the size of group Hubs can support, other than the amount of kit the Hub has available
- We recommend that groups borrowing kit encourage social distancing
- We recommend using good hygiene practices and encourage participants to wash their hands at the end of each clean-up
- We recommend groups minimise the sharing of equipment during their clean-up
These volunteer litter picking initiatives are at the heart of Caru Cymru, a collaboration between Keep Wales Tidy and councils across Wales to eradicate litter and waste.