Toggle mobile menu visibility



All hackney carriage and private hire drivers and vehicles operating in Swansea need to be licensed.

Alcohol and entertainment licences

The Licensing Act 2003 covers the sale and supply of alcohol, certain types of entertainment and late night refreshments.

Street trading

Street trading is selling or offering to sell any item in the street. This includes any road, path, beach, or other area to which the public have free access to.

HMO licences

Landlords of certain houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) need to apply to license their properties regardless of where they are located in Swansea. Licensing applies for all HMOs in Uplands, Castle and St Thomas wards no matter the size or number of residents.

Animal licences

We issue licences for businesses where animals are kept or cared for.

Scrap metal dealers

Any company that makes any payment for scrap metal during the course of their business should be licensed.

Caravan and camping licence

Sites used for holiday caravans and camping require a licence from us to operate.

Sex shop and cinema licence

If a premises operates as a sex shop or sex cinema it will require a licence from us.

Skin piercing licence

If you work in a business that carries out skin piercing you must have a licence.

Charities and fundraising

Charitable collection permits authorise the people collecting, make sure the money is collected securely and the total collected is accounted for.


Weighbridges are set into the ground and allow you to weigh vehicles and their contents. Weighbridges are often run by private companies who may make them available to members of the public.

Environmental permit

If your business can affect the environment through air, land or water pollution then you will need to apply for an environmental permit.

Fireworks and explosives licensing and registration

If you sell or store fireworks you need to be licensed by us. You should also store the fireworks safely, know your fire drill and display a sign where fireworks are supplied or exposed for supply.

Gambling licences

We are responsible for issuing licences for commercial gambling. Premises include casinos, bingo halls, betting offices and amusement arcades.

Hairdresser registration

If you run a hairdressers or barbers you should be registered with us. This applies to both shops and mobile businesses.

Cooling tower notification

Cooling towers provide cooled water for air-conditioning, manufacturing and electric power generation.

Petroleum storage certificates

The safe storage of petrol is covered by legislation to help prevent fire and explosion which can occur if there is a source of ignition nearby.

Highway applications and permits

Apply for street and highway permits, including skips, hoardings, oversails and pavement cafes.

Licensing a venue for ceremonies

To hold a civil marriage or civil partnership ceremony at a venue in England or Wales, the premises must be approved by the local authority. A separate approval is needed if you wish to hold a civil partnership in a religious premises.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon
Last modified on 27 September 2023