Toggle mobile menu visibility

Leaving council housing

If you are thinking of ending your tenancy there are certain things you need to do before you leave.

When you end your council tenancy, you must give your area housing office at least four weeks' notice, in writing, before you want to leave your home.

The four week 'notice' must end on a Monday morning and you must return your keys to the housing office before 12 noon the day you leave (or the next working day if it is a bank holiday).

You must also ensure that you clear the property before leaving. Often when a tenancy is ended, personal belongings, furniture, rubbish, etc are left behind. Gardens are also sometimes left with debris, rubbish, unsafe structures and contents from inside the home.

If you leave items behind that we have to clear we will charge you for doing this. Your tenancy conditions explain what you must do, and what will happen if you don't so it's really important that you do comply.

If we have to clear the property, the amount we will charge you depends on the amount left behind. We also keep photographic evidence in case of disputes.

The charges are:

  • internal clearance: between £50 - £500
  • internal cleaning: between £50 - £200
  • external clearance: between £50 - £500 - for extreme cases, up to a maximum of £2,000 (this is to also include dismantling of structures)
  • redecoration: between £50 - £300

When you give notice to end your tenancy you will be given a standard list of the cost of repairing and/or replacing damaged fixtures and fittings. If we find damage to the property and it is assessed as being due to neglect and/or has been caused deliberately by the former tenant, a list of items in need of replacement/repair and an invoice for the cost replacement/repair will be sent to you.

If you are charged either for the removal of belongings and/or repairs and in the future you apply for housing with us, you may not be given another home so it's in your own interest to repay any charges for clearing and/or repair that you receive.

If you have any queries about ending your tenancy or anything related to this subject, then please contact your local area housing office

Close Choose Language