How can I join the National Exercise Referral Scheme (NERS)?
Individuals can be referred by any health professional including GPs, practice nurses, dieticians, physiotherapists, diabetic nurses or occupational therapists.
- Contact a health professional to receive more information and to discuss the referral scheme. Based on your needs and requirements the health professional will complete an exercise referral form and consent form.
- Your details will be transferred to one of our exercise referral instructors.
- A member of the referral team will invite you to a session at a venue which is most convenient for you. This first session will include a tour of the leisure centre facilities and a brief overview of the scheme.
- You will be asked to an additional meeting, which will be on a one to one or group basis. This consultation will include a health assessment (BP and weight checks).
The programme will be dedicated to your needs and requirements helping you to achieve the end results / goal.
Who can be referred onto an exercise referral scheme?
Patients who are/have:
- over 16 years old
- not moderately active
- de-conditioned through age or inactivity
- raised blood pressure
- weight management
- controlled diabetes
- high cholesterol
- family history of heart disease/diabetes
- referral from cardiac rehabilitation schemes (phase lv)
- mild anxiety, depression or stress
- at risk of osteoporosis
- arthritis (mild)
- poor mobility
- musculoskeletal pain including back pain
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder-mild/moderate well controlled (asthma, bronchitis, emphysema)
- multiple sclerosis
- chronic fatigue