Search site
Paper with holes at the top

Permits for using the household waste recycling centres

If you want to use a van or trailer to bring waste from your own home to a Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) you need to have a permit.

The permit is FREE. Vehicles with a permit will only be able to use Clyne or Llansamlet HWRC.

Why introduce a permit scheme?

The permit scheme has been introduced to make sure only household waste (and not commercial waste) is deposited at Swansea's HWRCs.

The sites are not licensed to accept waste from a commercial source and using them for this purpose is illegal. Unauthorised trade use also leads to safety issues associated with larger vehicles in general, and adds to waiting times for legitimate users.

What is commercial waste?

Commercial waste is defined as waste arising from any trade or business, industrial or commercial activities. Anyone who has received payment for carrying waste or who produces waste from their work cannot take this waste to an HWRC.

HWRC permit scheme

Residents who wish to dispose of their household waste at a HWRC within Swansea using a van or trailer under 1.8m bed length must:

  • Have a HWRC permit.
  • Take the waste to either the Baling Plant or Clyne HWRC (access is not permitted at any other site).
  • Vehicles that need a permit are goods or small pickup type body, or if it is without side/rear windows and/or no rear seats, pickups, small vans, short wheel base transit vans, small mini buses and private cars with small size trailers up to 1.8m bed length, cars with sign writing.
  • Residents using private cars, estate cars, people carriers, campers, and 4x4 vehicles without a goods body do not need a permit.
  • A table of vehicles and whether they will or will not be allowed on site is available on our Check whether you need a HWRC permit page.

The types of vehicles requiring a permit will only be able to use these 2 sites and will not be allowed at the Tir John, Penlan or Garngoch sites. Banned vehicles will not be allowed to park outside the HWRC and carry waste onto the site.

How does the permit scheme work?

The permits allow you to access either the Baling Plant or Clyne on 12 occasions in any 12 month period. On arrival at the Baling Plant or Clyne HWRCs, you must hand one of your permits to a member of site staff who will confirm that the vehicle details match those on the permit and keep permit to show one visit has been used. If you visit either of the HWRCs more than once in one day, each visit will be counted separately and your permit taken accordingly.

You will need to re-apply if your details change (change of address, new vehicle, etc) and surrender any unused permits issued under the previous address/vehicle registration number.

How to apply for a permit

You will need to provide an original V5 registration document and a matching proof of address within the City and County of Swansea eg a recent utility bill or Council Tax demand, when presenting your application.

You can download a copy of the form and take it in person to the waste management office at the Baling Plant with your evidence. The office is open from 9.00am to 4.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays).

PDF Document Household Waste Recycling Centre permit application form (PDF, 57KB)Opens new window

Disclaimer forms

The sites cannot accept commercial waste. Commercial waste can only be disposed of at the licensed facility situated at the Baling Plant on payment of the appropriate gate fee.

Depositing commercial waste at the HWRC sites is a criminal offence under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and could result in a £50,000 fine and/or 2 years imprisonment.

Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR)

ANPR is a form of CCTV that monitors vehicles' number plates as they enter HWRCs. It is in operation at HWRCs to support the permit scheme in deterring traders from illegally using the sites. It can also give traffic count data to help plan staffing and future site developments.

Information collected by ANPR will not be used by the City and County of Swansea for any other purpose other than those listed above, although it may be shared with organisations like Natural Resources Wales to investigate breaches of regulations governing the carriage and disposal of waste.

Hired vehicles

If you own the vehicle to which a permit is assigned, any member of your household or another driver you designate can use the permit to visit either of the sites in that vehicle. It will remain the permit holder's responsibility to make sure only household waste is disposed of. Commercial-type vehicles under 3.5 tonnes (not flatbeds) which have been hired for 3 days or less, and under 5m in length, will not require a permit. In this case, you must bring your hire agreement documents with you to the site and show it to a member of the site staff who will ask you to fill out a disclaimer form.

Non-Swansea residents

Permits will only be issued to Swansea residents. Non-Swansea residents are not allowed to access Swansea run sites.

How else can I dispose of my waste?

You can find information on how to dispose of household waste on our Recycling and rubbish pages. Information on disposing of trade waste is available on our Commercial, business, trade waste and recycling pages.

Duty of care

Householders have a duty of care to make sure any waste created either by themselves or by paid tradespersons in their home is disposed of properly, safely and legally, either by themselves or by a licensed carrier of waste.

If tradespersons are contracted to dispose of this waste, householders should check that they are authorised to carry that waste and hold a waste carriers licence.

To check if a tradesperson has a licence or to apply for one go to the Natural Resources WalesOpens new window website.

Tradespersons cannot dispose of this waste at an HWRC.

Powered by GOSS iCM