Toggle mobile menu visibility

How will your benefit be paid?

Find out how you will receive any benefits you are able to claim from us.

How is Council Tax Reduction paid?

If you receive Council Tax Reduction you won't normally receive this as an actual payment. Instead the amount you are awarded will be used to reduce the amount of council tax you have to pay.

How is Housing Benefit paid?

If you are entitled to Housing Benefit then this can be paid in a number of different ways depending on what type of property you live in. You may find that your first payment is for more than your normal regular amount because it includes a back payment from the date you claimed.

Council tenants/contract holders

If you are a council tenant/contract holder then your Housing Benefit will be paid to your rent account once a week. Any benefit you get is taken off your full rent leaving you with less rent, or no rent, to pay. Your local area housing office will be able to give you an update on the amount of rent you have left to pay.

Private tenants/ contract holders

The safest way for us to pay Housing Benefit to private tenants/contract holders is by a direct credit to your bank account. If you would like to have your Housing Benefit paid directly into your account download and fill in the form below and then email it to

Request form for Housing Benefit to be paid into a bank or building society (PDF) [35KB]

Most private tenants/contract holders are paid every 2 weeks, in arrears. If you are paid by a direct credit to your bank account (BACS), you will find the money reaches your account every other Wednesday.

If we are sending you a cheque, this should reach you every other Thursday.

Payments direct to landlords

If you are one of the small number of people whose Housing Benefit is paid directly to your landlord, it will be paid every four weeks in arrears. This includes people whose landlord is a Housing Association. 

Housing Benefit for most people in privately rented properties can only be paid directly to the landlord when the claimant can't manage their financial affairs, is unlikely to pay their rent or has 8 weeks rent arrears or more.

Benefit advice if you are a landlord Benefit advice if you are a landlord