Search site

Report a change of circumstances which may affect your Housing Benefit

If you receive Housing Benefit and your circumstances (or those of a member of your household) change you must contact us immediately because this can affect your entitlement to benefit. You must also tell us if you change address.

Your Privacy

Swansea Council is the data controller for the personal information you provide on this form. Your information will be used in the exercise of our official authority and will not be used for any other purpose. We will not share your data with third parties unless we are required or permitted to do so by law. This is explained in more detail here.

Data protection law describes the legal basis for our processing your data as necessary for the performance of a public task. For further information about how Swansea Council uses your personal data, including your rights as a data subject, please see our corporate privacy notice here.

Click here to Report a change in circumstances online.  If you do not currently have a claim and wish to make a NEW claim for Housing Benefit you should click here.

Landlords who are receiving direct payments of Housing Benefit for a tenant should also report changes they find out about.

The easiest way to tell us about a change is to complete our online form. 

In light of the Government's recent instructions the telephone lines are temporarily closed.  Please e-mail your enquiry to and we will respond as soon as possible.  We currently have a large number of enquiries so please bear with us.

If you do not tell us about a change in your circumstance within a month of the change you could lose out on any increase in benefit or if there is a decrease in benefit, you could end up with an overpayment, which you will have to pay back.

These are some example of changes that you should tell us about:

  • You or your partner become entitled to Universal Credit or have a change to your Universal Credit award.
  • You, your partner or someone else in your household has a change in their income or capital*.
  • If you, your partner or a household member stop receiving Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit or Universal Credit.
  • If you receive Pension Savings Credit and your capital* goes over £16,000.
  • If you, your partner or a household member start work.
  • If the amount of your childcare payments change.
  • The number of people living in your home changes (including anyone living with a joint tenant).
  • If you change address (for private tenants this includes a change of room in the same property).
  • If you are not a council tenant and the rent you have to pay changes.
  • Your landlord or the owner of the property you rent becomes responsible for any of your children.
  • If any of your children leave school.
  • If you or your partner go to prison.
  • If you or your partner decide to stay permanently in a residential care or nursing home.
  • If you leave your address for a temporary period e.g. if you go on holiday, into hospital or into residential care.
  • If you are absent from Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) your Housing Benefit may cease from the date you depart Great Britain if your absence is due to last more than 4 weeks.
  • You or your partner become a student and / or there is a change to your student income.

*capital − any account with a bank or other organisation, savings, investments, property or land

If you are in doubt about what changes need to be reported contact us for advice.

We may need to ask you for evidence of the change but we will speak to you about this when you contact us.

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit you need to report any changes in your circumstances to the Universal Credit Services Centre telephone line on 0345 6000 723 or 0845 6000 723, they will then inform us of the change to your Universal Credit. 

Click here to Send us electronic copies of documents using our online form.  

You can print these forms off and have them completed and sent to us as evidence.

​For more information about how self-employment affects Housing Benefit check our self-employment information page.

If you cannot provide some of this evidence please contact us and we can talk about other ways we can get the proof, perhaps from another source.

Powered by GOSS iCM