Toggle mobile menu visibility

Gas safety in private rented housing

Landlords must have a safety check by a Gas Safe registered engineer on all gas appliances in their property every 12 months. You must give a copy of that check to your tenant within 28 days or to a new tenant before they move in.

Only Gas Safe registered engineers should carry out work on gas appliances or installations in your home.

You can check if your gas engineer is correctly registered by calling 0800 408 5500 or by checking on the Gas Safe Register website.

You must keep your gas safety records for two years. 

I am a tenant, what does this mean to me?

If you are a tenant please let the Gas Safe registered engineer in to the property to carry out the check. They will carry ID with them, which you should ask for.

If you think that a gas appliance is faulty, turn it off and contact your landlord or agent. In an emergency, call the Gas Emergency Number 0800 111 999.

Close Choose Language