Food waste collection
Use your green bin for your weekly food waste collection.
- use the free green bins provided
- put your bins out for collection between 7.00pm the evening before your collection and 6.00am on the morning of your collection day
- keep your caddy clean by using the free liners provided
- paint or write your house number on your bin
- use our recycling and rubbish collection search to find out what day we collect from your street
Where can I get a food bin from?
Food bins are available to collect for free from any council library or housing office. See our full list to find your nearest location.
We will provide a small caddy to keep in your kitchen which you can line with the food waste bags and a larger outdoor bin with a lockable lid for storage and the crews to collect from.
If you are unable to collect a bin you can request a delivery.
What to put in the bins
Put the following items into your food waste bin:
- fruit and vegetable peelings
- left over cooked food (eg rice, pasta, vegetables)
- tea bags and coffee grounds
- egg shells
- gone off/mouldy food
- meat and fish (raw or cooked)
- dairy products
- small bones up to and including chicken carcass
No thank you
Do not put the following items into your food waste bin:
- packaged food (please separate gone off food from packaging and recycle separately)
- card, cardboard or kitchen paper