Flying Start - frequently asked questions
Frequently asked questions about Flying Start in Swansea.
What is Flying Start?
Flying Start is a Welsh Government funded programme and is available in targeted areas supporting all families to give 0-3 year olds a Flying Start in life.
The scheme aims to provide intensive support services for children aged 0-3 years old and their families. The focus of the programme is on promoting language, cognitive, social and emotional skills, physical development and the early identification of high needs.
We do this through the delivery of health support and guidance, parenting groups and support, early language groups and support and funded part-time childcare.
Am I eligible?
To take part in the Flying Start programme you must live in a Flying Start area. Please contact us on Tel: 01792 517222 to check if your post code and street are listed.
What am I entitled to?
If you live in a Flying Start area you and your family will be entitled to receive:
- an enhanced health visiting service
- access to parenting programmes
- access to early language development support
- funded part-time childcare (2.5 hours a day) between the ages of 2-3 years.
The childcare is delivered in a local Flying Start centre, usually within walking distance of your home. We work as part of a highly qualified team who offer lots of great fun and learning in a fantastic environment, where the experiences your child has will support their holistic development. All of these settings meet high quality standards set by Flying Start and the Care and Social Service Inspectorate for Wales.
When can I access Flying Start?
- Health Visiting - if you are eligible for Flying Start your details will be passed on to the relevant health visitor, who will then arrange an appointment with you.
- Parenting - there are many ways Swansea Flying Start can help to support you in this important role as a parent. You can be referred to the programme by your Health Visitor or any other professional; speak to your Health Visitor or the manager and/or key worker in your child's Flying Start setting they will be able to make a referral or link you in to the Lead Family Facilitator in the setting who will be able to give you more information about the support we could offer. Alternatively, if you are interested in attending a parenting programme or would like to find out more about family support please contact us on Tel: 01792 517222 and ask to speak to the Family Partnership Team.
- Childcare - your local Flying Start Childcare Manager will get in touch with you in the lead up to your child's birthday or if you have moved into the area, as soon as your details have been passed on by your Health Visitor, the Childcare Manager will get in touch with you as soon as there is a planned space for your child to attend.