Toggle mobile menu visibility

Education Welfare Service

Education Welfare Officers support parents who may be experiencing difficulty in ensuring that their children attend school regularly.

The Education Welfare Service (EWS) supports the Local Education Authority (LEA) in ensuring that every child and young person in the City and County of Swansea has access to appropriate and relevant educational provision which enables them to learn.

The Education Welfare Service promotes the welfare of children and equal access to education for all children.

Services offered by the Education Welfare Officers

  • Supporting children and families
  • Liaison with schools
  • Advice on school admissions and transfers
  • Information and advice on exclusion procedures
  • Helping parents meet their legal obligations on school attendance
  • Child employment licensing
  • Education and welfare benefits advice
  • Promoting child welfare
  • Working with support agencies
  • Enforcement of legal obligations of LEA in relation to school attendance
  • Investigation of children who go missing from education
  • Safeguarding children's welfare
  • Supporting looked after children in the authority
  • Supporting young carers in the authority.

Support for parents/carers and young people

Education Welfare Officers offer help and support to families who are experiencing difficulties.

The Education Welfare Service offers support to parents and children to help ensure that children can attend school regularly.

Education Welfare Officers can often assist parents and children with a variety of issues.

Your Education Welfare Officer can be contacted through your child's school. Education Welfare Officers are based in secondary schools. You may also contact the Principal Education Welfare Officer.

Support for young carers

A young carer is someone under 18 who takes on a regular amount of care for a member of their family who has:

  • A long term illness
  • A learning disability
  • A physical disability
  • Mental health problems
  • Drug or alcohol problems

There are many people at school who may be able to give you help and support including:

  • Education Welfare Officer
  • Head of Year
  • Form Tutor
  • Other pastoral staff at school

There are projects which support young carers.

Education Welfare Service FAQs

Frequently asked questions about the Education Welfare Service.

Education Welfare Service

Contact details.
Education Welfare Service
01792 771935

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon
Last modified on 18 August 2021