Toggle mobile menu visibility

Dangerous wild animals

If you keep an animal that is classed as dangerous, wild or exotic you will need a licence. This also includes some hybrid or cross-bred animals depending on how far removed the animal is from its wild ancestor.

This type of licence will not be needed for zoos, circuses or pet shops. These are all covered under their own legislation.

Dangerous or exotic?

Is your animal dangerous?  Many so-called exotic animals are classed as dangerous wild animals and as a result need a licence from us.  If you are not sure whether or not to apply for a dangerous wild animal licence, email

How to apply

Apply for a licence to keep dangerous wild animals Apply for a licence to keep dangerous wild animals

You must complete the application form in full.  You will need to pay the application fee when you submit your form.  There will be a fee to pay for the vets visit after it takes place.


Animal licences fees Animal licences fees

You must submit your fee with the application.  You will be asked to pay a further fee to cover the vets visit if one takes place.

If you apply by post you should make cheques payable to 'City and County of Swansea' and send it with your completed form.


Tacit consent

It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact Licensing.


If you have any problems with your application or would like more information then please contact us on 01792 635600 or email Any applicant who is refused a licence or who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court.

Apply for a licence to keep dangerous wild animals

Use our online form to apply for a licence to keep dangerous wild animals.

Frequently asked questions about dangerous wild animals

Find out answers to the most common questions we get asked about dangerous wild animals.
Close Choose Language