Toggle mobile menu visibility

Appeal against your Council Tax

If you don't agree with the amount that you have been charged for your Council Tax you can appeal.

Appeals against the band into which your property has been placed must be sent to the Valuation Office Agency (opens new window) as they made that decision.

Appeals against decisions about who is liable for Council Tax, discounts, exemptions or disabled reductions must be sent to us as we make those decisions.

Who can appeal?

Normally, you can appeal if you are:

  • the person liable to pay the Council Tax for the dwelling or
  • the person who would be liable for Council Tax if the property was not exempt from Council Tax
  • the owner of the dwelling

What can I appeal against?

You can appeal if you disagree with any decision relating to liability, discounts, reductions for disabilities, or exemptions.

Where do I send my appeal?

Send your written appeal to: Council Tax Section, Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road, Swansea, SA1 3SN if you think:

  • you have been sent a Council Tax bill but should not be the liable person
  • your home should be an exempt dwelling
  • the amount of the bill is incorrect, for example if you think a discount, exemption or disabled reduction should apply.


Send your appeal to the Valuation Office Agency (opens new window) if you think:

  • your property has been placed in the wrong band.
  • your property should not be on the valuation list at all.
  • the entry in the valuation list does not reflect the nature of your property.

Appeals cannot be made on the amount that has been set for the Council Tax or because you cannot pay the tax.

Your Council Tax remains payable pending the outcome of any appeal.

Once you have sent an appeal to us

We have two months in which to consider your appeal.

If we do not respond to your appeal within two months, you can appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal (this is a different body to the Valuation Office Agency). You should apply to the tribunal within four months of making your original appeal to us.

When we respond to you about your appeal, if you disagree with our response you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal within two months of being notified of our decision.

Valuation tribunals

Valuation tribunals are independent bodies which are set up to hear Council Tax, Council Tax Reduction and rating appeals. The appeals are usually dealt with at an informal hearing which is attended by the person making the appeal and either an officer of the City and County of Swansea or the listing officer of the Valuation Office.

The address of the Valuation Tribunal is: Valuation Tribunal for Wales, West Wales Region, Welsh Government Buildings, Llys-y-Ddraig, Penllergaer Business Park, Swansea, SA4 9NX.

Visit Valuation Tribunal for Wales (opens new window) for further information.

Close Choose Language