Toggle mobile menu visibility

How much is my Council Tax?

The amount of Council Tax you have to pay is based on the Council Tax valuation band value into which your property is placed and the number of adults who live there.

Council Tax is charged on a daily basis and an annual bill is sent covering each financial year starting on the 1 April.

It will assume your circumstances as at 1 April will exist for the whole year. If your circumstances change during the year, the charge will be adjusted to reflect this.

Use our virtual bill to find out the charges for different properties around Swansea.

The Council Tax charge varies slightly from ward to ward depending whether there is a tax levied by a community council in your ward.

How is my property valued?

The decision about which Council Tax valuation band to place your property into is made by the Valuation Office Agency and is based on its capital value on 1 April 2003. Even if it was built after that year, it will still be valued using 2003 values.

Each property is placed in one of nine valuation bands.

The Welsh Government sets the Council Tax bands for Wales and the table below shows the current range of values for each band:

  • Band A = under £44,000
  • Band B = £44,001 to £65,000
  • Band C = £65,001 to £91,000
  • Band D = £91,001 to £123,000
  • Band E = £123,001 to £162,000
  • Band F = £162,001 to £223,000
  • Band G = £223,001 to £324,000
  • Band H = £324,001 to £424,000
  • Band I = £424,001 and above

How do I check that I'm in the correct band?

The band your property has been placed in will be shown on your bill.

Check your Council Tax band on GOV.UK - this contains the banding of every property in the country.

If the property is, or has been, altered or extended since 2003, the banding may have been affected and if the property is sold it may be placed in a different band. The purchaser will then be liable for the new charge.

For further information and to find out about making an appeal against your banding please go to the GOV.UK Council Tax appeals website.