Toggle mobile menu visibility

Converting a civil partnership into a marriage

If you have been through a legal civil partnership ceremony in England or Wales you can convert this into a marriage.

The procedure to convert your civil partnership into a marriage can be completed at any Register Office in England and Wales. It does not have to be in the same district where you originally formed your civil partnership.

You will need to make an appointment for the conversion. It will be necessary for you to bring identification along with proof of your address and your civil partnership certificate. We will tell you what documents are needed when you make the appointment.

Both partners must be present at the conversion but you do not need witnesses.

There is a fee of £45 for the conversion along with a fee of £4.00 for the marriage certificate.

You can choose to have a non-statutory ceremony to celebrate the conversion of your civil partnership. You may also choose to sign the conversion declaration at an approved venue or at a religious building that is approved for same-sex marriages. In both these cases additional fees and processes will apply.

Please email for more information or to make an appointment.

Close Choose Language