Search site

Council owned commercial and industrial units

We have a number of commercial and industrial units available to rent. There are 6 workshop sites with approximately 75 units at Swansea Enterprise Park and other locations.

Units range in size from 46 sq metres (495sqft) to 232 sq metres (2,497sqft) which cater for light manufacturing. Under planning regulations no retail use is permitted.

Who can apply?

The industrial units are provided to assist businesses and therefore the local economy in their areas. Therefore applications will not be considered from individuals wishing to use them for their own private use such as storage of household items, private garaging etc.

Viewing a property

We recommend that you first view the exterior of the property to ensure that the location would be suitable for your business. Before an appointment can be made for an internal viewing of a property, new businesses need to provide a business plan of their intended venture. Existing businesses need to provide a letter outlining as much information as possible about their business, such as how many jobs currently exist or will be created, what experience you have, how long you have been in business etc.

Josh Winder on 07773 580510 or email or Simon Aspland on 07866 896840 or email

It will help us if you include in your email your contact number and your full postal address. If your enquiry is about a specific property please include the postal address or describe it in relation to the property next door to it.

References required

For applications to rent property you will need to supply a bank reference and two trade or character references. We will send you an application and reference forms to complete and return.

We will also undertake a credit check with a credit agency for which you will need to pay a non-returnable fee of £40 to cover our costs.


You will be responsible to pay the rent for the premises you are occupying. All payments are due as stated in your lease or tenancy agreement and are normally payable monthly in advance. Payment is by direct debit.

We will also charge a 3 month rent deposit. This will be held and returned upon completion of the tenancy provided that the unit is returned in a satisfactory condition and the rent account is clear

Your lease will specify when the rent will be reviewed. This usually means that the rent will increase to reflect any increases in market rents for similar properties.

It is important to check your lease to be sure whether there will be a rent review and, if so, how the new rent will be decided. The rent payable under a tenancy will normally be reviewed by written notice or a notice to terminate the tenancy with the offer of a new tenancy, at a new rent. The length of notice which must be given will be stated in your tenancy agreement.

What happens if I don't pay my rent on time?

We expect our tenants to pay rent and other charges on time. If an account falls into arrears, we will charge interest in accordance with the terms of the lease. Legal proceedings may be commenced and bailiffs instructed to collect the amount owed and payment of their costs.

This procedure involves extra expense for the tenant, so it is in your interest to make payments promptly. If you are having problems paying on time, it is important that you inform us of the reasons as soon as possible. Then we may be able to assist in finding a way forward.

Is there a 'cooling off' period?

Once the tenancy agreement has been signed you are legally bound by your specific agreement. If you wish to terminate your agreement, this document will state the required notice period.

Is there a minimum rental period?

The minimum rental period is one month. After this, one month's written notice is required from either side to terminate the tenancy.

Other fees and charges

As a commercial tenant, you will be liable for a number of accommodation related costs which are above the normal day to day running expenses.

Typically the following costs will usually apply:

  • Electricity costs recharge (applies to Capel Road workshops in Clydach, Cwmbwrla workshops, Garngoch workshops and Gorseinon Business Park)
  • Insurance - We insure the premises, and recharge the premium to the tenant. However, it is your responsibility to satisfy yourself as to the extent of cover, to obtain additional cover if required and to obtain contents insurance.
  • Legal and surveyors fees - You will be required to meet the council's costs with regard to preparing your lease and any consents or licences that may be needed during the time of your tenancy. These are one off costs and are chargeable on an as and when required basis. You may also be responsible for paying the Council's legal fees should you breach the terms and conditions of your tenancy resulting in action to be taken by the council. These fees will be itemised on the statement of account which you will receive when you sign your lease

Changing the use of the property

If you are already a tenant you must apply for written consent from the council as landlord and owner to the proposed change of use specified in your lease or tenancy agreement. You will have to pay the costs of this and must make an application by email or letter to the Strategic Estates section.

You may also have to make an application for planning permission to change the use and pay the appropriate fee. The council's planning department will advise you whether planning permission is required and the amount of the fee.

The council's tenancy or lease requires that tenants comply with the use specified in the tenancy or lease.

Maintenance of the property

This will depend on the specific clauses in your tenancy agreement. However on the majority of the estates the tenant will be responsible for the internal parts of the premises including the roller shutter door, windows and doors. The council will maintain the external fabric of the premises and the surrounding area including the estate signs.

Services in the property

The majority of the units have electricity and water services connected, although you should make their own enquiries as to the unit's suitability.

Storage outside the property

External storage is strictly prohibited at each of the estates.

If you wish to site a rubbish skip on council owned, managed or controlled land you must obtain written permission from the council. If your application is successful you will be responsible for all costs involved with hiring, fly-tipping (inside the skip and the surrounding area) and any other problems relating to the skip. All skips must be lockable and emptied on a regular basis. Other types of outside storage containers are not be permitted.

Action will be taken by the council should a tenant fail to comply with these requirements.

Planning permission

Although the council is landlord, it is separate and independent from its role as planning authority. Whilst the landlord may indicate approval to a particular trade, this does not mean that you have planning permission to commence that trade. You are required to make your own enquiries as to the suitability of your business.

End of lease

This is a complicated subject on which you should take legal advice. The length of the lease may seem clear. Under a workshop lease contracted out of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 either side may terminate the lease by giving a minimum of one month's written notice to quit.

However you should not assume that you can vacate the property at the end of the lease, as you will continue to be liable for the rent until you have given formal written notice to quit.

Powered by GOSS iCM