Toggle mobile menu visibility

Child Employment

If your child wants to have paid part-time work while still at school there are a number of rules that apply.

These legal requirements ensure that the young people are properly registered, and are not undertaking work that could damage their health, place them in physical danger, or have an adverse effect on their education.

The official date for leaving school is the last Friday in June in the school year in which the pupil is 16. Before this date young people between the ages of 13 and 16 may apply for a work permit for any paid part-time work. An application form must be completed and signed by the parents and the employer.

If the type of work is suitable and the hours to be worked are within the stipulated limits, a work permit will be issued.

For further information and an application form, download the documents on this page or alternatively you can contact

Child employment - application procedure

Before employing a child the employer must send written notification to the local authority using an employment permit application form.

Child Employment Officers

Jonathan Martin / Lindsay Jones
Job title
Child Employment Officers
01792 637648