We can arrange a collection for bulky items of household waste that are too big for your black bags such as beds, carpets, fridges, freezers and wardrobes.
Please note due to high demand during lockdown waiting times are longer than usual. The current waiting time for a collection is 3 to 4 weeks. If you wish to continue please have your payment card available.
Items booked must be outside on the kerbside awaiting collection on the designated day. Crews will not be able to enter a property any under circumstances. Many thanks for your understanding.
All items collected are sorted for reuse or recycling.
All collections must be booked and paid for in advance. We will collect:
- 1 to 3 items for £20
- 4 to 6 items (maximum) for £40
If preferred you can donate reusable bulky items directly to our reuse shop, or to a local charity or reuse organisation.
Certain items can also be disposed of for free if taken to a household waste recycling centre.
How to book and pay for a collection
Before you book a collection make sure you check the list of items that we are not able to collect.
- by phoning (01792) 635600
- in person at the Contact Centre (Civic Centre)
If you are on income support, income related job seekers allowance, income related employment and support allowance or guaranteed pension credit and Universal Credit you are entitled to a maximum of 3 collections of up to 3 items at half price over a 12 month period.
Please note that items must be placed out on the kerbside for collection on the agreed date. The collection team is unable to enter the property.
Collections are usually made on the same day as your recycling and rubbish collections. We are currently booking a minimum of 6-8 weeks in advance of collection.
Once booked an email will be sent within 3 working days to confirm the collection date. Please check your spam / junk email folders in case it does not appear in your main email folder. If you have still not received your confirmation email after 3 working days, phone the team on 01792 635600.
To ensure your items are collected you must:
- only put out the items you described when booking your collection.
- put the items out for collection on the kerbside between 7.00pm the evening before your collection and 7.00am on the morning of your collection day.
- keep items dry and don't leave them outside for a long time in all weathers. If you are leaving out an item that could absorb water (for example mattress or settee) then please cover them. Wet items may be too heavy to lift and may not be collected.
- items which are too heavy to lift safely by the collection crew
- items from inside the property or garden
- from commercial (business) premises
- hazardous waste, for example asbestos, car batteries, paint etc
- items containing glass or mirrors
- external doors
- fixtures such as bathroom suites
- boilers, gas bottles or oil tanks
- builders rubble
- car tyres/wheels
- interior fixtures of vehicles (seats, etc)
- car parts (bumpers, exhausts, etc)
- garden sheds
- wooden pallets
- PVC materials
We require at least 24 hours' notice of cancellation as after that time the collection crew are committed to the collection and expenses have been incurred. Please note that if your collection day is on a Monday then we need to know by 12.00pm on the Friday before.