Search site
Warning ! in circle

Benefit fraud - what do you know about it?

Find out more about benefit fraud and how you can help to prevent this.

How can I report fraud?

If you think someone is committing benefit fraud you can report it online to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)Opens new window.

They will look at the information you provide and contact us where appropriate.

They have to have a good reason for investigating someone for benefit fraud so the form will ask you to give as much information as you can. For example:

  • The name and address of the person you're reporting
  • A description of the person
  • The type of benefit theft you think they are committing and why you suspect them
  • Information about their employer, if you think they're working

The information you provide is strictly confidential and you do not have to give your name unless you want to.

You can also report benefit fraud by telephone

National Benefit Fraud Hotline (NBFH)

Telephone: 0800 854 440
Textphone: 0800 328 0512
Welsh Telephone: 0800 678 3722 (Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 6.00pm)

Or by post:  NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston PR1 1GP.

What happens after you report someone

The DWP fraud investigation service will look at the information you give. If you've given enough information, they will be able to check the person's benefit claim.

The fraud investigation service isn't allowed to tell you the outcome of their investigations.

Sometimes no action is taken because it might be that the person has declared a change in their circumstances and their benefit is not affected by it.

The fraud investigation service will take action if they find the person has been committing benefit fraud. Action can include removing a person's benefits and prosecuting them in court.

Powered by GOSS iCM