Search site
House with tick

Claim Housing Benefit

Information on what is required to claim help with your rent.

From 13th December 2017, we cannot accept new claims for Housing Benefit from most working age people.

However, Housing Benefit can still be claimed if you meet any of the following conditions:

·         If you have reached State Pension Credit age

·         You are part of a couple where one of you has reached State Pension Credit age

·         You have three or more children and have been advised to claim Tax Credit after 13th December 2017.  However, if you have been in receipt of Universal Credit within the previous six month period or are making a new claim as a lone parent within one month of being a partner on a joint UC claim you must reclaim UC and not HB.

·         If you are a resident in certain types of supported accommodation.

·         From 11th April 2018 you can make an application for Housing Benefit if you have been placed in certain types of Temporary Accommodation including emergency Temporary Accommodation. You may also claim Housing Benefit from this date if you are currently living in Temporary Accommodation and your rent changes.  

If you are unsure if you should be making a claim for Housing Benefit ring 01792635353 for advice.


Click Here to Claim Housing Benefit (and or Council Tax Reduction) Online 

If you cannot complete our online application, then you will need to fill in a paper application form. These can be collected from the Contact Centre in the Civic Centre or from your local District Housing Office. You can also download the application form from this web page.

If you can't send us the application form straight away, you can still tell us you intend to claim by completing this form.

Which application form do I need to complete?

PDF Document Application Form for HB, CTR & FSM (PDF, 255KB)Opens new window

PDF Document If you are currently claiming Housing Benefit but are going to move home. (PDF, 155KB)Opens new window

What evidence has to be provided with the application form?

You will usually need to provide proof of:

  • National Insurance numbers for you and your partner
  • Identity
  • Capital, savings and investments
  • Earnings
  • Any other income
  • Benefits, allowances or pensions
  • Your tenancy and any rent you pay (unless you are a council tenant)

Electronic copies of most documents may be accepted, apart from the proof of your National Insurance Number and identity. We cannot pay you benefit until we have seen all the proof we have asked for.

Click here to Send us electronic copies of documents using our online form.  

You can print these forms off and have them completed and sent to us as evidence.

​For more information about how self-employment affects Housing Benefit check our self-employment information page.

If you cannot provide some of this evidence please contact us and we can talk about other ways we can get the proof, perhaps from another source.

Will I qualify for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction?

Our online  can work out an estimate of whether you are likely to qualify for benefit.

Things to remember

  • Hand your application in as soon as you can. The date your benefit will start from depends on when we receive your application form.
  • Provide all the supporting evidence we ask for. We will not be able to pay your benefit until we have seen all the evidence needed.
  • If you need to apply for Housing Benefit AND Council Tax Reduction, the same form is used for both. You only need to complete one.

You won't get any benefit if you don't make a claim.

Powered by GOSS iCM