Make a claim for benefits
Information on how to make a claim for Housing Benefit and/ or Council Tax Reduction if you are on a low income.
Will I qualify for benefits?
You can use an online benefits calculator to work out an estimate of whether you are likely to qualify for a reduction in council tax.
You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if one of the following apply:
- Live in temporary accommodation or certain types of supported accommodation,
- Are a single pensioner or a part of a pensioner couple where you are both of Pension Credit qualifying age
- A mixed age couple* where Pension Credit has been in continuous payment to you both since 14/05/2019 or earlier
- A mixed age couple* where Pension Credit or Housing Benefit has been in continuous payment to you both since 14/05/2019 or earlier if you have changed address
*A mixed age couple is a couple where one is of State Pension Credit qualifying age and one is working age.
How do I claim?
If you want to make a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction you need to fill in an online application form.
What evidence has to be provided with the application form
You will usually need to provide proof of:
- National Insurance numbers for you and your partner
- identity for you and your partner
- capital, savings and investments
- any other income
- benefits, allowances or pensions
- your tenancy and any rent you pay (unless you are a council tenant) if you are claiming Housing Benefit
We may not be able to pay your benefit until we have seen all the proof we have asked for. If you cannot provide some of this evidence, please contact us and we can talk about other ways we can get the proof.
If you need to hand in original documentation in support of a new or existing benefit claim or have a complex query that you would like to discuss face to face, our Contact Centre is open on an appointment only basis. You may request an appointment by visiting www.swansea.gov.uk/contactcentrebooking
If for any reason you can't submit the application form straight away, you can still tell us you intend to claim by completing this form.
Things to remember
- The date your benefit will start from depends on when we receive your application form
- Provide all the supporting evidence we ask for. We may not be able to pay your benefit until we have seen all the evidence needed
- If you need to apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction, the same form is used for both so you only need to complete it once
- We can't award Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction unless you make a claim
Swansea Council is the data controller for the personal information you provide on this form. Your information will be used in the exercise of our official authority and will not be used for any other purpose. We will not share your data with third parties unless we are required or permitted to do so by law. This is explained in more detail on our how Revenues and Benefits use your personal information page.
Data protection law describes the legal basis for our processing your data as necessary for the performance of a public task. For further information about how Swansea Council uses your personal data, including your rights as a data subject, please see our corporate privacy notice.