Toggle mobile menu visibility

Report a change of circumstances which may affect your benefits

Report a change of circumstances affecting Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit.

Depending on what has changed your benefits payments may go down or be increased.

All forms are available in Welsh - click on 'Cymraeg' in the top right corner of your screen.

How do I tell you about a change in circumstances?

You must tell us straight away about any changes that may affect your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.

The easiest way to tell us about a change is to complete our online form which is also available in Welsh. 

Report a change of circumstances using our online benefits form (opens new window)

You can also tell us in writing, to the Benefits Section, City and County of Swansea, Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road, Swansea, SA1 3SN or by email to

If you do not tell us about a change in your circumstances within a month of the change you could lose out on any increase in benefits. If there is a change that will end or decrease your benefit you must tell us before the change is due to occur or immediately after the change has occurred. Any reductions to your Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction could result in an overpayment which you will be asked to pay back.

Landlords who are receiving direct payments of Housing Benefit for a tenant/contract holder should also report changes they find out about.

What changes should I tell you about?

The following are examples of changes of circumstances that everyone must report promptly to the benefits section:

Please note: * Capital  means any account with a bank or other organisation, savings, investments, property or land.

  • you, your partner or someone else in your household has a change in their income or capital *
  • if you, your partner or a household member stop receiving Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit or Universal Credit.
  • if you receive Pension Savings Credit and your capital * goes over £16,000 
  • if anyone either starts to receive or stops receiving Carers Allowance or the Carers element of Universal Credit for looking after you
  • if you, your partner or a household member start work.
  • if the amount of your childcare payments change.
  • the number of people living in your home changes (including anyone living with a joint tenant/contract holder)
  • if you change address (for private tenants/contract holders this includes a change of room in the same property).
  • If you are not a council tenant and your rent changes or you challenge your rent charge using a Rent Assessment Committee.
  • your landlord or the owner of the property you rent becomes responsible for any of your children
  • if any of your children leave school.
  • if you or your partner go to prison.
  • if you or your partner decide to stay permanently in a residential care or nursing home.
  • if you leave your address for a temporary period e.g. if you go on holiday, into hospital or into residential care.
  • if you are absent from Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) your Housing Benefit may cease from the date you depart Great Britain if your absence is due to be more than 4 weeks.
  • you become a student and/or your student income changes (or grant/loan/income changes)
  • you are receiving social care and either your or your partner's health or care changes. You should also report this direct to the Social Care Income and Finance Section.
  • your property has had additional security installed under a sanctuary scheme and your Housing Benefit is subject to the removal of the spare room subsidy (bedroom tax). 
  • you have agreed with your landlord that your home is not fit for Human Habitation or the matter is in dispute.

Please note that the above list is not exhaustive. If any circumstances not listed above change please contact the Benefits Section.


Do I need to provide proof of my change in circumstances?

You may need to provide proof of your change of circumstances for example:

  • if your earnings have changed
  • if you are self-employed
  • if your child care costs have changed

We may not be able to pay your benefit until we have seen all the proof we have asked for. If you cannot provide some of this evidence, please contact us and we can talk about other ways we can get the proof. 

Send us electronic copies of documents as evidence for a change in circumstances (opens new window)

Your Privacy

Swansea Council is the data controller for the personal information you provide on this form. Your information will be used in the exercise of our official authority and will not be used for any other purpose. We will not share your data with third parties unless we are required or permitted to do so by law. This is explained in more detail on our how Revenues and Benefits use your personal information page.

Data protection law describes the legal basis for our processing your data as necessary for the performance of a public task. For further information about how Swansea Council uses your personal data, including your rights as a data subject, please see our corporate privacy notice.

Close Choose Language

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon
Last modified on 07 June 2024