I think a scam has taken place
If you, a friend or member of your family thinks they have fallen victim to a scam it should be reported as soon as possible to Action Fraud.
You should report scams to Action Fraud online at www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud or phone 0300 123 2040.
If there is a crime being committed right now or if you are in danger you should call the police on 999.
If you have lost money, your account may have been accessed, or if you have made payments with a debit or credit card, online banking or cheques your first step should be to contact your bank or credit card company.
Once you have contacted Action Fraud and your bank they will be able to advise you on what you can do next.
Remember if you think you have become a victim of a scam
- Don't make any more payments to the scammers.
- Don't answer emails or letters from the scammers.
- Report the scam to Action Fraud.
- Contact your bank or credit card provider. They may be able to stop future payments or unauthorised withdrawals from your account.
- Report the scam to Swansea Trading Standards using our online form. We use this information to warn others of potential scams.
Scams are getting more sophisticated so don't feel embarrassed if you have fallen victim. Reporting the scam will help protect you from future scams and help alert others to the scam.