Digital Photography for beginners
With Andrew Hulling. This live blended learning course is an introduction to digital photography and will help students understand their equipment and camera functions.
The course will suit students who are new to digital photography and those who have some knowledge and would like to gain new knowledge and skills to improve their photographs and understanding of photography. Sessions will be delivered partly online with some face-to-face classroom based sessions. Students will be expected to practice what they have learnt between sessions and may sometimes be set tasks to aid their learning. Class field trips may take place as part of this 10-week course, depending on Welsh Government guidelines in respect of Covid-19.
Sessions will include:
- Main camera modes and menu settings.
- Manual settings.
- Composition - form, line and colour.
- Understanding of basic photographic principles.
- Understanding the 'Exposure Triangle' shutter speed, ISO and aperture (F/stop and depth of field).
- How to get good exposure - and obtain creative control.
- Fieldtrip photography followed by image analysis, feedback and discussion.
- Lenses: telephoto, wide angle and zoom.
- Macro (close-up) photography.
- Uploading images onto your computer and file management as required.
- Introduction to the main uses of image editing software; Photoshop, Paint.net and Gimp.org.
Printable handouts will be provided during the sessions.
First class will be face-to-face at Swansea Civic Centre IT Suite, Room 2.1.17a (23/09/21), remaining classes will be delivered online via Google Classroom.
First session only face-to-face at Civic Centre.
Duration: 10 weeks.
Learning format: Blended learning (first session only at Civic Centre, remaining sessions online).
Course code: D092128.AH